Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I have a 6S. The screen has a hairline crack.

I haven't changed it or bought a new iPhone bc I need 100% reliability bc I do important things on my iPhone and don't want to risk anything.

My logic is that this iPhone is working very reliably right now with no issues (knock on wood) so why change anything and potentially face problems.

Thoughts?

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
If it works fine with the crack, keep using it. It's not going to harm the usage of the phone unless it gets further damaged. Though fixing it would probably be my priority because I can't continue to use a damaged device, it would drive me insane. Apple offers screen repair/replacements that aren't that bad, especially if you have AppleCare+. https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/screen-damage

Reactions: JustJoshua

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
If it works fine with the crack, keep using it. It's not going to harm the usage of the phone unless it gets further damaged. Though fixing it would probably be my priority because I can't continue to use a damaged device, it would drive me insane. Apple offers screen repair/replacements that aren't that bad, especially if you have AppleCare+. https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/screen-damage

Thanks for the reply. It's just a hairline crack. Not too annoying tbh.

My main priority is having an iPhone that is extremely reliable.

I can say that about the iPhone 6S I'm holding in my hands right now running 10.3.3.

It works without any issues. None. Knock on wood.

That's why I'm hesitant to get a new iPhone or have any repairs done.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
If it's working fine now and you're concerned about issues after any repairs then why not just wait and see. You can always repair later eh? It would bother me but if it doesn't bother you then no worries.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
If it's working fine now and you're concerned about issues after any repairs then why not just wait and see. You can always repair later eh? It would bother me but if it doesn't bother you then no worries.

Yes it's working absolutely fine. No problems. Knock on wood.

I can honestly say the hairline crack does not annoy me that much. I wish it wasn't there, but it's fine. It's not a big deal to me.

I'm more concerned about my iPhone just working day in day out. I need to receive messages reliably, and so on.

So yes maybe it is more wise just to wait it out for now.

JustJoshua

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2016
I recently switched over from my iPhone Se to a Samsung s6 and I miss the reliability simplicity and long battery life if my Se so if I were you I would get the screen fixed and be done. About too reactivate my Se this weekend as I don't see me lasting long on any other device.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I can honestly say the hairline crack does not annoy me that much. I wish it wasn't there, but it's fine. It's not a big deal to me.
If the crack doesn't bother you, then there's really no reason to get it fixed, is there?

I had dropped my iPhone 6s Plus and it sustained a chip in the bottom-right corner of the front glass, but I hardly ever even notice it (one good thing about having thick bezels on a smartphone). Afterward I started using a glass screen protector, dropped it again and the protector developed a small hairline crack over the bottom of the screen, but I still haven't yet bothered to change it out.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
You're probably fine continuing to use the phone as it is. If you are concerned about reliability if you replaced or repaired it you really don't have to worry. You've got as good or better odds of your current device acting up as getting a new one with problems.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
Not sure I understand this thread,why would you imagine that this business critical reliability would be threatened by a repair? Since part of your phone is currently broken it's far more likely that it will begin to malfunction in some way than it would if the problem was dealt with. Besides, iPhones are mass manufactured consumer devices, their reliability is not so fragile and delicately balanced that a simple screen repair (likely covered by guarantee in any case) is going to throw the thing into disarray.

anonymous guy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
If you have any of the original 1 year AppleCare warranty remaining, use it for a repair.

If it works reliably and the hairline crack isn't growing, it'll work as long as you need it to - given that you don't abuse it and don't mind the eventual battery degradation.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I have a 6S. The screen has a hairline crack.

I haven't changed it or bought a new iPhone bc I need 100% reliability bc I do important things on my iPhone and don't want to risk anything.

My logic is that this iPhone is working very reliably right now with no issues (knock on wood) so why change anything and potentially face problems.

Thoughts?

I don't care what you do. Make up your own mind.

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
The fact that you took the time to post on the forum about the hairline crack indicates that it does bother you to some degree. If this is true, I would probably repair the screen, but the choice is totally yours. I do agree that the 6s is a very capable and nice phone, I plan to keep mine for some time myself.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
An iPhone that has been dropped and cracked or an iPhone that has been repaired or replaced by Apple. Which would be more reliable? Hmmm I wonder....

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Actually, it's a pretty good time to buy an Iphone 7. You can get them for at least a couple of hundred off. Much better phone than the 6S.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Let me get this straight. You don't want to get another iPhone because it might not work as good as the one you have?

What about when the new iPhones are released with better selfie cameras? They might not be as reliable as the iPhone you currently have.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Let me get this straight. You don't want to get another iPhone because it might not work as good as the one you have?

What about when the new iPhones are released with better selfie cameras? They might not be as reliable as the iPhone you currently have.

When the next iPhone comes out I'd have 14 days(?) I think to see if it's working good. I'd still have my 6S as backup just in case it isn't.

But if I change out my screen now and something goes wrong I wouldn't have a backup. I do have an iPhone 5 that works fine but I mean nobody's got time for that haha.
[doublepost=1502057723][/doublepost]
An iPhone that has been dropped and cracked or an iPhone that has been repaired or replaced by Apple. Which would be more reliable? Hmmm I wonder....

I heard someone who got their screen fixed then had some problems. It could've been totally unrelated to getting it fixed.
[doublepost=1502057832][/doublepost]
The fact that you took the time to post on the forum about the hairline crack indicates that it does bother you to some degree. If this is true, I would probably repair the screen, but the choice is totally yours. I do agree that the 6s is a very capable and nice phone, I plan to keep mine for some time myself.

True. I actually got an S8 a few days ago and now I appreciate my reliable iPhone 6S more than ever- hairline crack and all haha.

I will say the screen on the S8 is unreal. No words on how amazing it is.
[doublepost=1502057903][/doublepost]
Not sure I understand this thread,why would you imagine that this business critical reliability would be threatened by a repair? Since part of your phone is currently broken it's far more likely that it will begin to malfunction in some way than it would if the problem was dealt with. Besides, iPhones are mass manufactured consumer devices, their reliability is not so fragile and delicately balanced that a simple screen repair (likely covered by guarantee in any case) is going to throw the thing into disarray.

I've heard someone who had some problems after getting it fixed, but it could've been totally unrelated to the repair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.