Should I stick with XP or "upgrade" to Vista?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by tsice19, Jun 17, 2008.

1. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I can't decide... and I haven't use Vista enough to decide. So, I'll ask you guys!

All jokes aside, Is Vista worth the upgrade? Or is it really that bad? I have no problem sticking with XP, but is sort of outdated and Vista does look cooler.

2. ninjapenguinart macrumors regular

No need to really upgrarde to Vista until SP 2 comes out probably.

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

To run on BootCamp?

I'd stick with XP for now — if you use it for work (also gaming).

But if you just want to try it out then go for Vista. It has some nice features.

4. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Vista kind of reminds me of OS X in how it looks, but certainly not in performance.

Waiting seconds just for the mouse button to respond on a system with 8-cores and 4GB of RAM is just sad, IMO, so I'm sticking with XP for the time being.

5. cjduckk macrumors newbie

cjduckk

I would stick to XP, personally. I keep a vista machine off in a corner in my office to troubleshoot the poor guy that got it preinstalled, but I try not to touch it otherwise. It's just too much fluff and not enough ability.

regards,
    -c.

6. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

I encourage people that can afford a new platform (read as additional to their production machine) to go ahead and play with Vista. It stands to reason that most are going to have to live with Vista for years to come. However, if you are productive on XP and have no experience with Vista and need to remain productive, DO NOT change your only machine over to Vista.

My opinion is from bringing up Vista on a Core 2 Duo machine and trying to live with it. I spent several hours fighting the built in security until I just resorted to turning off all that I could. Anyway it is an experience that makes OSX a pleasure to work with.

My opinion.
    Neil

7. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

I encourage people that can afford a new platform (read as additional to their production machine) to go ahead and play with Vista. It stands to reason that most are going to have to live with Vista for years to come. However, if you are productive on XP and have no experience with Vista and need to remain productive, DO NOT change your only machine over to Vista.

My opinion is from bringing up Vista on a Core 2 Duo machine and trying to live with it. I spent several hours fighting the built in security until I just resorted to turning off all that I could. Anyway it is an experience that makes OSX a pleasure to work with.

My opinion.
    Neil

8. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Seconded. Vista is easy to get used to, but if you're super productive and can't take any time out of your day to "mess about" then I'd stick with XP. If you're just a casual gamer/use Office/etc., then give Vista a try (I'd recommend Vista 64-bit :)). It's very fast.

9. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

do yourself a favor and stay with xp:)
    have a nice day!