Should I store my collection with the PRAM battery installed?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Nice, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Nice macrumors regular

Nice

Hi guys, I was wondering about this. The more I browse videos about oldes Macs, the more I see videos about damages caused by battery leakage.

I have more than 15 Macs in my collection, and was wondering if I should take out the PRAM batteries and only keed it in the ones I use..

Any thoughts??

Thank you guys in advance!!!

2. Eriamjh1138@DAN macrumors 6502

Eriamjh1138@DAN

As batteries generally go, removal is always best for safe storage. However, I've yet to see a Mac PRAM battery leak. Granted, I've not opened up machines that are more than 10-15 years old.

If easily removed, do it. If you have to tear it down, it's your choice.

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I've seen very few "G" era computers(barring obscure ones like the Kanga) with leaky battery. They're usually just dead.

With that said, I've seen a few with the red Maxwell batteries that are prone to leak.

With that said, the consequences of a leaking battery can be a dead computer. I have a Classic in my collection that's not economically repairable because of a battery leak.

So, I don't take chances. Few of the computers in my collection have PRAM batteries. My Mac II has batteries(new ones) because it must have working batteries to boot. A few of my G4s have CPU upgrades with patched firmware, and they have good batteries. Aside from that, I leave them out.

4. ziggy29 macrumors 6502

If I don't expect to use it for several weeks, even months, at a time (or more) I will take them out if it doesn't require significant "surgery". I've never had a problem with a leaky PRAM battery in a Mac, but why take chances on the models where removing it is a very easy precaution?

5. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

Does this affect mobile devices too? I have some phones, smartphones and an eBook reader I would like to keep for years and years... These devices have SOCs (system on a chip), so due to the dimension it would be much harder to do that.