Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
I just moved from New York to California
and currently have a New York Driver's License,
but was wondering what the Pro's and Cons of switching
from a NY to a California Driver's License are ?

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Cons:
The DMV is a pain in the ass.

Pros:
It's illegal if you don't. (I think you have 30 days, but double check)

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I'm kind of in the same situation, but without the illegal part that you have.

My "permanent residence" is in Washington State, but I live in California for school - so I don't HAVE to change my drivers license. I have a Washington drivers license and my car is registered in Washington. I want to keep the latter that way, because California emissions and registration is unbelievably absurd.

So I can't decide if I should switch either. Let me know what you decide.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I'm not saying you'd get busted or anything, but it might cause a problem if you end up doing anything else involving the DMV, like changing your plates over. And if you live somewhere that has jerky cops, not changing your plates might get noticed. :(

eldy

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2009
The City
You are allowed to register a car in California even though your permanent residence is not in that state.

If you spend a majority of your time in one state then it becomes your permanent residence.

The best thing to do is to keep on using your out of state license and plates. If you do get pulled over do not give any statements about where you are going and why you are in the state of California. (Never ever tell them that you are on your way to work!) Tell them that the address on your license is current and it is your permanent residence. Let them cite you then contest the citation.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I'm kind of in the same situation, but without the illegal part that you have.

My "permanent residence" is in Washington State, but I live in California for school - so I don't HAVE to change my drivers license. I have a Washington drivers license and my car is registered in Washington. I want to keep the latter that way, because California emissions and registration is unbelievably absurd.

So I can't decide if I should switch either. Let me know what you decide.

If you're only there for school, and likely leaving after 4 years, you should remain a resident in Washington. If you decide to stay in California after college, then switch over. The only inconvenience for you is you may have to go back home to renew your plates or license.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
I was also thinking of tax purposes. which state is better to
be a resident in.

You won't get to pick where you live for tax purposes. If you're working in California, you're paying California taxes. Otherwise everybody would maintain a P.O. Box in Tennessee or Nevada.

I kept my original license for several years until it was about to expire. I had a job in town and didn't have to own a car for a couple of years, so it wasn't an issue, but once I needed a car I didn't automatically switch it over. I had no problems buying or registering a car in CA using an out-of-state license, and although the subject came up at the DMV when I finally did get my license, the DMV didn't really care much less do anything.

The only way you're likely to hit a problem is if you're pulled over, but that never happened to me, so I don't know how much crap you could catch or whether being able to claim part-year residence as a student would avoid trouble.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I waited too long for fear of going to the DMV. Where they really bent me over the barrel was the fact that I had purchased a car in the state of Illinois within a year of moving to CA. They figured I owed them taxes. So, to get licensed and registered, I owed a little over 600 :mad:

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
If you're only there for school, and likely leaving after 4 years, you should remain a resident in Washington. If you decide to stay in California after college, then switch over. The only inconvenience for you is you may have to go back home to renew your plates or license.

I'm not leaving afterward, I'll probably stay living in the Bay area.

I'm home (in Seattle) in the summer so I can deal with tabs and renewals then.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Why isn't there just a single "United States of America" driving licence?

In addition to the revenue, there is also on single set of traffic laws in the United States. Each of the states (and even counties within states) have their own statutes and regulation scheme, including inspection schedules, emission testing (or not) and rules of the road.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.