Should i Switch Driver's License from NY to CA ?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by fab5freddy, Jun 25, 2009.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

I just moved from New York to California
    and currently have a New York Driver's License,
    but was wondering what the Pro's and Cons of switching
    from a NY to a California Driver's License are ?

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Cons:
    The DMV is a pain in the ass.

Pros:
    It's illegal if you don't. (I think you have 30 days, but double check)

3. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

I know some people who have had out of state licenses for years
    without changing.

4. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Here's the page from the California DMV
    Click Me

Looks like you have 20 days before penalties kick in.

5. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I'm kind of in the same situation, but without the illegal part that you have.

My "permanent residence" is in Washington State, but I live in California for school - so I don't HAVE to change my drivers license. I have a Washington drivers license and my car is registered in Washington. I want to keep the latter that way, because California emissions and registration is unbelievably absurd.

So I can't decide if I should switch either. Let me know what you decide.

6. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I'm not saying you'd get busted or anything, but it might cause a problem if you end up doing anything else involving the DMV, like changing your plates over. And if you live somewhere that has jerky cops, not changing your plates might get noticed. :(

7. eldy macrumors 6502

You are allowed to register a car in California even though your permanent residence is not in that state.

If you spend a majority of your time in one state then it becomes your permanent residence.

The best thing to do is to keep on using your out of state license and plates. If you do get pulled over do not give any statements about where you are going and why you are in the state of California. (Never ever tell them that you are on your way to work!) Tell them that the address on your license is current and it is your permanent residence. Let them cite you then contest the citation.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If you're only there for school, and likely leaving after 4 years, you should remain a resident in Washington. If you decide to stay in California after college, then switch over. The only inconvenience for you is you may have to go back home to renew your plates or license.

9. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

I was also thinking of tax purposes. which state is better to
    be a resident in.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You've permanently moved, I don't think you have much of a choice

11. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If you moved during this year you'll have to file as a part-year resident in both NY and CA. Next year you'll only file in CA.

12. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Why isn't there just a single "United States of America" driving licence?

13. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Because the states would never allow it. The individual states run their own licensing and registration agencies and get the revenue, not the federal government.

14. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

You won't get to pick where you live for tax purposes. If you're working in California, you're paying California taxes. Otherwise everybody would maintain a P.O. Box in Tennessee or Nevada.

I kept my original license for several years until it was about to expire. I had a job in town and didn't have to own a car for a couple of years, so it wasn't an issue, but once I needed a car I didn't automatically switch it over. I had no problems buying or registering a car in CA using an out-of-state license, and although the subject came up at the DMV when I finally did get my license, the DMV didn't really care much less do anything.

The only way you're likely to hit a problem is if you're pulled over, but that never happened to me, so I don't know how much crap you could catch or whether being able to claim part-year residence as a student would avoid trouble.

15. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I waited too long for fear of going to the DMV. Where they really bent me over the barrel was the fact that I had purchased a car in the state of Illinois within a year of moving to CA. They figured I owed them taxes. So, to get licensed and registered, I owed a little over 600 :mad:

16. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I'm not leaving afterward, I'll probably stay living in the Bay area.

I'm home (in Seattle) in the summer so I can deal with tabs and renewals then.

17. MTI macrumors 65816

In addition to the revenue, there is also on single set of traffic laws in the United States. Each of the states (and even counties within states) have their own statutes and regulation scheme, including inspection schedules, emission testing (or not) and rules of the road.