Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Epstein

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
I own a Macbook air 11" 2015 (no upgrades just standard)

With iOS 11 pretty much making an iPad closer than ever to a laptop (I'd say it is at this point). Is it worth it? My air was never my workhorse (I have 2 iMacs (2016 and a 2010 iMac), but I used my air for work and big presentations, is anyone else in the same boat? Can an iPad with iOS 11 really now be a laptop replacement?

Could I get 3-5 years out of this iPad pro?

Reactions: kenz1980

kenz1980

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2017
Funny, I was thinking the same thing about my 2016 MacBook Pro. Could I get by with a 12.9 ipp, an ASK and a pencil. Waiting to hear more reviews on the new file app for ios.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I don't see how anyone can answer this question for you except for you. Am I ready to ditch my laptop for an iPad Pro? No. Are some people? Yes.

Reactions: sracer

Epstein

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
I don't see how anyone can answer this question for you except for you. Am I ready to ditch my laptop for an iPad Pro? No. Are some people? Yes.
I guess the question would be directed at those using the iOS 11 beta right now. Especially those with a Macbook or Air

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I own a Macbook air 11" 2015 (no upgrades just standard)

With iOS 11 pretty much making an iPad closer than ever to a laptop (I'd say it is at this point). Is it worth it? My air was never my workhorse (I have 2 iMacs (2016 and a 2010 iMac), but I used my air for work and big presentations, is anyone else in the same boat? Can an iPad with iOS 11 really now be a laptop replacement?

Could I get 3-5 years out of this iPad pro?
We haven't seen what "Files" can do, and iOS apps are still very primitive compared to their desktop counterparts. I'd say that iOS 11 can indeed help more people replace their notebooks with an iPad, but for others it simply takes steps toward that goal.

I own both an 11" MBA 4GB/128GB and a 12.9 iPad Pro. There is no way that I could replace my MBA with the iPP. And like you my MBA is NOT main primary system (I have an iMac).

I have found the iPad, ANY iPad, to be inferior as a presentation device. My MBA is perfect for that. I use a Targus presentation remote that is compact and well designed and is a pleasure to use. There are limited remote options for the iPad. Ports & connectivity options are other factors for my presentation device. The iPads still fall short in those aspects.

As much as I thoroughly enjoy my 12.9 iPad Pro, I'm finding that increasingly, the 11"MBA + iPad Mini 4 combo is a more flexible solution for mobile.

Epstein

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
We haven't seen what "Files" can do, and iOS apps are still very primitive compared to their desktop counterparts. I'd say that iOS 11 can indeed help more people replace their notebooks with an iPad, but for others it simply takes steps toward that goal.

I own both an 11" MBA 4GB/128GB and a 12.9 iPad Pro. There is no way that I could replace my MBA with the iPP. And like you my MBA is NOT main primary system (I have an iMac).

I have found the iPad, ANY iPad, to be inferior as a presentation device. My MBA is perfect for that. I use a Targus presentation remote that is compact and well designed and is a pleasure to use. There are limited remote options for the iPad. Ports & connectivity options are other factors for my presentation device. The iPads still fall short in those aspects.

As much as I thoroughly enjoy my 12.9 iPad Pro, I'm finding that increasingly, the 11"MBA + iPad Mini 4 combo is a more flexible solution for mobile.

Could you go a bit into why presentations are more difficult? Not pushing back, I really want to know

I'd mostly use it for the office suite for iPad (which I have yet to use, is it safe to say thats pretty limited as well?)

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Could you go a bit into why presentations are more difficult? Not pushing back, I really want to know
sure! No problem.

There is a distinct lack of connectivity between the iPad and displays. Whether they are projectors, HDTVs, etc. The iPad is limited in what it can connect to compared to the MBA. This may not be a concern if one is presenting in a standard known environment...simply establish the adapters needed and it is done. But for flexibility of the unknown or unpredictable, I feel more comfortable in knowing that it can handle a wider variety of situations.

As I mentioned previously, support for presentation remote controls is limited with the iPad. The "official" Apple solution is to use your iPhone or iPod Touch (or iWatch) as a presentation remote. That is not practical and isn't something that Apple themselves practices... watch any Apple presentation (like yesterday's WWDC) and you'll see they were using a presentation remote... not an iPhone.

If one is stationed in front of their tablet/notebook while presenting, then a presentation remote control isn't particularly necessary. But if one is the type to wander on stage while presenting, a remote control is a necessity.

When presenting, dual display support is important. I have found iOS support for dual display to be lacking. It works in a very rudimentary sense, and for most instances it is fine, but there's just some things that are "off" about it when compared to macOS support for dual displays.

On occasion, I will have the need to add or modify a graphic included on a slide. On the MBA, attach a thumbdrive, copy the file (or drag n drop it) into the keynote presentation. This is not possible in the iPad. Some will say to use the "Camera connection kit" adapter to pull the image from the thumbdrive, but that is extremely limited... it only accesses files from predefined folders and predefined filename conventions... because it assumes that a digital camera is being connected.

After a presentation, it is common for people to come up and ask for a digital copy of something that I presented (audio/video/pdf). Now I COULD take down their email address and email them, set up a shared folder on dropbox, but it is nice to have the option of simply attaching a thumbdrive and copying the files right then and there.

Hopefully this gives some things to consider when deciding between the MBA and iPad for presentation. If your presentation workflow is different, then not much is applicable. :)

I'd mostly use it for the office suite for iPad (which I have yet to use, is it safe to say thats pretty limited as well?)
Yes, MS Office for iPad is extremely limited. It does a TERRIFIC job of DISPLAYING Office documents accurately. I was impressed that it accurately displayed my teaching notes created in Word that has a bit of moderate to advanced formatting and even correctly rendered the custom font of my handwriting.

MODIFYING Office docs is a bit hit or miss. Depending upon what you are doing, you may find that the function you need is not available in Office for iPad.

CREATING Office docs from scratch on the iPad is greatly limited to capabilities that are on par with Google Docs or Pages for iOS. Simple docs can be created easily. Anything beyond that becomes practically impossible.

One thing that I do with my 12.9 iPad Pro is do what I can with the iOS versions of iWork and MS Office and when I reach a limitation of their functionality, I'll use Jump Desktop to remote into my iMac in my home office and continue editing the file with the macOS version of the app. (I keep my working set of files in the cloud for access) Since Jump Desktop supports a physical mouse on the iPad, it's just like sitting in front of my iMac.

Epstein

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
I guess another question minus iOS. Spec wise how does this compare to a macbook air 11" 2015?
[doublepost=1496764570][/doublepost]
sure! No problem.

There is a distinct lack of connectivity between the iPad and displays. Whether they are projectors, HDTVs, etc. The iPad is limited in what it can connect to compared to the MBA. This may not be a concern if one is presenting in a standard known environment...simply establish the adapters needed and it is done. But for flexibility of the unknown or unpredictable, I feel more comfortable in knowing that it can handle a wider variety of situations.

As I mentioned previously, support for presentation remote controls is limited with the iPad. The "official" Apple solution is to use your iPhone or iPod Touch (or iWatch) as a presentation remote. That is not practical and isn't something that Apple themselves practices... watch any Apple presentation (like yesterday's WWDC) and you'll see they were using a presentation remote... not an iPhone.

If one is stationed in front of their tablet/notebook while presenting, then a presentation remote control isn't particularly necessary. But if one is the type to wander on stage while presenting, a remote control is a necessity.

When presenting, dual display support is important. I have found iOS support for dual display to be lacking. It works in a very rudimentary sense, and for most instances it is fine, but there's just some things that are "off" about it when compared to macOS support for dual displays.

On occasion, I will have the need to add or modify a graphic included on a slide. On the MBA, attach a thumbdrive, copy the file (or drag n drop it) into the keynote presentation. This is not possible in the iPad. Some will say to use the "Camera connection kit" adapter to pull the image from the thumbdrive, but that is extremely limited... it only accesses files from predefined folders and predefined filename conventions... because it assumes that a digital camera is being connected.

After a presentation, it is common for people to come up and ask for a digital copy of something that I presented (audio/video/pdf). Now I COULD take down their email address and email them, set up a shared folder on dropbox, but it is nice to have the option of simply attaching a thumbdrive and copying the files right then and there.

Hopefully this gives some things to consider when deciding between the MBA and iPad for presentation. If your presentation workflow is different, then not much is applicable. :)

Yes, MS Office for iPad is extremely limited. It does a TERRIFIC job of DISPLAYING Office documents accurately. I was impressed that it accurately displayed my teaching notes created in Word that has a bit of moderate to advanced formatting and even correctly rendered the custom font of my handwriting.

MODIFYING Office docs is a bit hit or miss. Depending upon what you are doing, you may find that the function you need is not available in Office for iPad.

CREATING Office docs from scratch on the iPad is greatly limited to capabilities that are on par with Google Docs or Pages for iOS. Simple docs can be created easily. Anything beyond that becomes practically impossible.

One thing that I do with my 12.9 iPad Pro is do what I can with the iOS versions of iWork and MS Office and when I reach a limitation of their functionality, I'll use Jump Desktop to remote into my iMac in my home office and continue editing the file with the macOS version of the app. (I keep my working set of files in the cloud for access) Since Jump Desktop supports a physical mouse on the iPad, it's just like sitting in front of my iMac.

Thanks for this! For work I'm mostly working with excel, assuming thats limited pretty heavily too. Hmmmmm

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I guess another question minus iOS. Spec wise how does this compare to a macbook air 11" 2015?
[doublepost=1496764570][/doublepost]

Thanks for this! For work I'm mostly working with excel, assuming thats limited pretty heavily too. Hmmmmm
Happy to help. Yes, Excel iOS is very limited... probably more limited (relatively speaking) than Word iOS is.

balderoine

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2016
Space Gray
If you hardly use 64GB of hard disk space on your Air I say it's safe to say you could switch. With the file system, I think it will be more beneficial to get work done. I personally could do all my work-work on the new 10.5 or 12.9 iPad just fine. Microsoft Office runs great. All you'd need to do is buy the VGA or HDI to lightning adapter and you should be good for presentations. If you can project your presentations wirelessly that would be even better.

Epstein

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
If you hardly use 64GB of hard disk space on your Air I say it's safe to say you could switch. With the file system, I think it will be more beneficial to get work done. I personally could do all my work-work on the new 10.5 or 12.9 iPad just fine. Microsoft Office runs great. All you'd need to do is buy the VGA or HDI to lightning adapter and you should be good for presentations. If you can project your presentations wirelessly that would be even better.

I also pay for 2tb of icloud space, so I assume in this aspect I should be good to go?

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2009
I have an Ipad as my take to meeting computer for work and find it very limiting. Too many easy things are hard to do Editing Office docs, opening a doc from dropbox and having it saved back to the same location, finding emails, remote access to my work desktop, saving/adding attachments, multi-tasking all seem much harder than they should be. I was committed to buying a low end macbook when the new ones came out.
Yet, it seems that the new IOS will improve some of those issues (multi-tasking, saving/adding attachments) but not others (editing office, remote access). I just guess I have to decide whether the extra functionality of an "ipad" form factor are worth the tradeoff of having a less than optimal "notebook" My sense is that the answer is almost yes, but not quite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.