Should I switch from Tiger to Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by starkmac, Jul 23, 2009.

1. starkmac macrumors newbie

I have switched from pc to mac now for about 1.5 years and I LOVE mac! I'm still learning a ton but i was wondering if I should switch from running tiger and install leopard. I mainly use photoshop and final cut and had heard that there were some problems with running photoshop with leopard. not sure if that's true though. I would do an erase and install and start completely fresh. Any tips on whether I should do this or not?

Thank you!

2. Cboss macrumors 6502

What Mac do you have? If it's Intel based then I would wait until Snow Leopard comes out in a few months.

To check if it's Intel based, look under the apple on your menu bar and click on "About This Mac", and see what it says next to "Processor". If you bought it new 1.5 years ago, then it is Intel.

3. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Well it depends on what version Photoshop you're running. CS1 and CS2 aren't that compatible with Leopard from what I hear.

CS3 is compatible though. I'm not 100% sure on Final Cut, but I know versions above 5.0 and up is compatible (Final Cut Studio 1 and above).

But if I were you, I would hold off 2 months and get Snow Leopard (assuming you have a Intel Mac).

4. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

If using a PPC then yes but if its Intel wait until Snow Leopard big improvements and more features and you will pay the same amount.

5. starkmac thread starter macrumors newbie

It is intel based. And I'm running CS2. Will snow leopard work well with CS2? I already have a leopard install disk, will leopard snow be expensive?

Thanks for responding, this site is great!!

6. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

for leopard users, Snow Leopard update will only cost 29$ ;)

7. starkmac thread starter macrumors newbie

So will I need to install Leopard then wait till september to receive snow leopard for $29?

8. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

yes :)

9. starkmac thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

CS2 doesn't play nice with Leopard, so it's really unlikely that it'll work with Snow Leopard, which is basically a streamlined Leopard (plus some other cool things).

11. starkmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! That's good to know. When you say it doesn't play nice what exactly does CS2 do with leopard to screw it up? But CS3 is okay?

12. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

Whoops, I was thinking of the wrong version. It can be a little unstable, but some people don't seem to have any problems. It was never supported by Adobe, though. This means that there's no Universal Binary for it, so it runs in the PPC compatibility mode.

CS3, though, is Universal, as is CS4 (obviously).

13. starkmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting that it wouldn't be supported fully. Good to know! Now it's just the decision to switch to leopard or not. I'm kinda torn. Anyone out there deal just fine with leopard and CS2?

14. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I'm on Leopard 10.5.7

I don't seem to have too many issues with CS2. I don't do anything complex, though.

15. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple