Should I switch my grandparents to a Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mossme89, Jun 16, 2013.

1. mossme89 macrumors 6502

My grandparents might get a new computer soon, and instead of them getting a Windows 8 machine (which could be a disaster even with classic shell), I'm considering recommending them an iMac or Mac Mini.

I love them, but they're very computer illiterate. Not trying to make fun of them, but to give you an idea of how they are, my grandma doesn't know what an address bar is and when she minimizes a window, she doesn't know where it goes. My grandpa is a little better but not much. But really all they need is something to go to a bookmarked shopping website and check their Verizon email on. The one thing I would probably need to install is an app like RedQuits to automatically quit applications when they click the red x or when the last window closes. Otherwise, they will likely have everything open and suck up RAM.

I guess my big question is for anyone who has been in the same situation. Should I do it? I might have to retrain them a little, but I'm wondering how quickly they might pick it up since Mac OS X is arguably easier to use. They've been using Windows since Windows 95.

2. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Yes.

Have switched a couple of people to mac, and unless they have some must have app on windows (few home users do) it is a lot less of a worry for them with spyware, viruses, adware, etc.

The mac comes with pretty much everything they need for general home user stuff (browse internet, shop online, pay bills, upload photos, talk to grandkids via video chat, etc).

If they are computer illiterate in Windows, they will be no worse in OS X. In fact, due to the consistency and logical nature of OS X, they will maybe be better off.

Windows is only really familiar if you already know it... if they don't know windows then...

Its far more annoying trying to unlearn the windows way of doing things if you are previously a competent windows user. Plenty of things are so much simpler you're like "wait... what else do i do? (app install/uninstall for example).

3. SprSynJn Guest

A Mac would definitely be a better option than a Windows machine in my opinion, that is unless they are used to Windows. But, from what you have said, they do not appear to be. Take them to an Apple store and see what they say. That would be the best route if you really are unsure.

4. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Or I could bring my Mac over and see how they do with it.

----------

I installed Windows 8 on their machine because their Vista was corrupted and 8 was all I had at the time. Wow, even with Classic Shell, they're struggling to use it. I deleted everything from Metro except the Desktop icon in case they get stuck there and it's ok, but they're still having trouble.

5. SprSynJn Guest

That you could.

You're welcome by the way. :rolleyes:

6. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks man.

7. SprSynJn Guest

No problem. Haha. :D

Make sure to tell everyone what happens incase others go down this road. Best of luck.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

If you decide to move them to a Mac, the Mini might be the best way to go.

It's cost-effective (as in, "cheap"), and they can probably keep using the display they're using right now.

Can still use the same mouse, keyboard, etc.

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That's what I would recommend. First and foremost, you should inquire if they have a desire to use something other than Windows. It's what they're used to despite not knowing how to use it very well.

What OS are they on right?

10. james1758 macrumors regular

james1758

I switched my grandma over to a mac, she does the same and pretty much buys things off amazon and checks her email!:p So we got her a refurbished original macbook, it was cheap and did the job for her!

11. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I switched one set of grandparents to Mac, we gave them one of our old MacBook Pros. My grandmother especially loves it, and keeps saying she wants one of those new 'Mac Airs' :D

They get on with it quite well and have set up their email, bookmarks etc. They never update it though, so I always have about 10 software updates to install whenever I use it...

12. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

No.

They should get an iPad. Switching to a mac will be too overwhelming for them. A change to iPad is much more intuitive, and wil do everything they need to do.

13. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

My grandpa is 87, and he bought his own PowerBook after using a Mailstation for email and then replaced it a few years ago with an iMac. He took an Apple class, and while he's no expert, he's able to do most basic functions. The thing that confused him most was the trackpad on the PowerBook, so he connected a mouse and all was good.

Suffice to say that OS X is usable for all generations :)

14. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

It's not a matter of age, it's a matter of ability and, often, fear. I bought a keyboard for my father to use with his iPad. He could not grasp the concept that nothing changed except he could type on it, that he still pressed the same buttons on screen to send mail, open apps, etc. For some people any change, no matter how small, comes at great cost.

For the original poster, why not get them a used computer with Windows 7 on it?

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I agree. These folks sound like the perfect candidate for an iPad given their simple needs.

I switched my elderly mother from an iMac to the iPad and she loved it and my "tech support" calls dropped way off. :)

16. Beards macrumors 6502a

Beards

Totally agree on the move to an iPad. It is what I was going to suggest until I read two others had already recommended the tablet.
    Much easier to use and you/they don't need to worry about leaving apps running all over the place.

17. simonmet macrumors 65816

simonmet

Yep iPad. They can use it where they feel comfortable (a couch) its sharp, high quality screen is good for ageing eyes.

The iPad is less useful for is typing however. You might want to get the iPad Pro with the keyboard stand. I think that would be enough.

18. KALLT macrumors 601

That’s not how Macs work anymore. The memory of inactive applications is compressed and the state can be saved to disk as needed and resumed instantly, much like on an iPhone. That happens automatically. Unless you are using several very heavy applications at the same time, memory usage is not something you need to pay attention to. I generally do not close applications anymore.

19. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Starting with @Beards you're all replying to a 3 1/2 year old thread. Let it rest in peace.

20. Beards macrumors 6502a

Beards

WOW...... How the heck did that happen. It must have flagged up as a recent file because I definitely do not go looking for old material.
    Thanks for the catch.