Should I switch over to the 32gb iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FullMetalx117, Mar 20, 2012.

1. FullMetalx117 macrumors regular

I currently have the 16gb wi fi back iPad. I managed to get all of my music on there, two movies, several apps (infinity blade, GTA, etc.) and still have about 8 GBs left. The thing is i've been thinking that I want this device to last me at least a good 2-3 years without me worrying about space. I could always delete the apps/movies I don't want and just download the apps i do want over iCloud. I also don't travel too much (maybe like three times a year) and when I do travel I am the one driving. Do you guys think the 32gb is worth it for me for $100 more?

2. ano0oj macrumors 6502

My iPhones already full with music and I already have all that on my iPad, so I decided to go for the 32gb especially with 1080p recording

3. irDigital0l Guest

Well if you dont have a lot of things to download then just stick with it. I assume you won't always keep the same movies for 2-3 years. So you'll exchange them out (movies take a huge chunk of memory).

If you really don't want to worry about not enough space just upgrade to the 32GB, it'll last you a good 2-3 years.

4. hipnotizer macrumors regular

I was in the same boat as you as I got a 16gb white iPad at launch. It was almost full with some games being 1gb these days or close too it, plus garage band I was left with 3 gb. The year I had iPad 2 I was constantly managing apps having to sync them off and on. I went back and exchanged the iPad for the 32 gb and it feels much roomier! I have loads of space and all my apps and games with movies and music and still have room. If you have the dough to spend I recommend it. You won't be disappointed in the long run, especially if you want it to last for 2-3 years.

5. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

If you have the money, yes. 64GB starts sounding like too much, but 32GB is a very good investment, me thinks.

6. Jameswma macrumors newbie

go with the upgrade, i'm going to return mine for a 32GB. 16gb is too small esp. if you want to take advantage of the retina display with HD movies.

the movies take up a lot of space.

7. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Don't forget that you can stream all your music and movies and pictures to your iPad via home share in iTunes when you are at home on wifi.

8. ghett0tech macrumors member

16GB is not enough IMO. i originally purchased 16GB but will be selling to get 32 very soon

9. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

I personally think you should upgrade to the 32gb, considering you want to use it for several years. 1080P videos take up quite a bit of memory, and you also have to consider that you will accumulate more apps, pictures, music, and videos over the years.

10. kramjam macrumors 6502

kramjam

I would only recommend a 16GB if all you plan on doing is web browsing, e- mails, and light app downloading.

11. DS3 macrumors 6502a

Im enjoying upgrading from 16 to 32. Ive got it pretty nicely loaded up with books, magazines, comic books, high res photos, multiple large games, a movie, a lot of PDF files, etc.... some of pretty much everything you can use on it. Room to spare, and I'll just cycle off the most unused games when I eventually need to free up some room. No constant managing.

So yeah, its a terrible value as far as GB per dollar go but its worth it for the effective use you can get out of it. And 64 does seem to be luxury territory, nice to have but not needed unless you have specific uses that require it or just have to have several HD movies.

12. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

It really isn't. 16GB is almost comical, especially with the new iPad and all it can do. I just ordered the new iPad, however I'm still rocking my iPad1 for the time being. It only has 16GB of storage and being that I recently deployed, I tried to cram as much into it as I could before I left.

That idea was fine until I had to update a very large app. I discovered, the iPad downloads the new version of the app before it deletes the old version. So, unless you leave a little extra space, you could run into an issue updating large apps. I ran into this issue and had to delete some tv shows I really didn't want to get rid of.

Having a 16GB iPad now, I would never go with anything less than 32GB on this thing.

13. AppChat macrumors regular

14. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

If you're planning on keeping it for a few years you might as well. If you're a "one year user" and sell it when the next one comes out you can eek by with the bare minimum... I'm betting the next iPad has 32gb on the low end just because 16gb is getting sparse with the apps going HD and everything in general getting bigger and bigger. But if you want a few years definitely go with the 32 or even the 64 if you can afford it.

Enjoy! :)

15. FullMetalx117 thread starter macrumors regular

alright thanks guys. I'll probably return my 16gb version this Friday and get the 32gb version. I sort of think the next iPad won't be a huge jump over this one besides the speed so I think I'll try to make this iPad worth it for at least two years. Now to decide if I want to keep the black color or go for the white one.

16. kardiackeith macrumors member

I upgraded from 16 to 32. The $100 spent is worth the freedom I feel I have with the hard drive. Go for it, then load anything and everything you want, with no regard for space left.

17. willgreene99 macrumors regular

willgreene99

I am down to under 3gb free on my 16gb 4G version. I am trying to go solo with the iPad and I know I will be trading it up for the 64gb version once they get another shipment in the store.

18. Towelie1288 macrumors regular

Towelie1288

I am in the same boat gonna return my iPad 16gb for a 32 this Friday also I want more space for movies and it just seems like the right thing to do
    I just hope they have some come Friday at the apple store
    I am pretty sure they will :)

19. LanEvo macrumors 6502

I would upgrade if I could, but I will stick with my 16GB WiFi. I cannot fork out the extra $100 atm.

20. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Go 64! On a recent international business trip I downloaded 10 movies it was awesome!!! I had 4 gigs left, I have a lot of apps, music and photos.

21. FullMetalx117 thread starter macrumors regular

I know this is more of an opinion question but would guys recommend me to go with the black or white? I originally wanted to get the white on Saturday but my Best Buy was sold out of them so I just got the 16gb version. I already have a black iPhone 4S so I thought I should alternate colors. Plus my brother has the black iPad 2. Still after researching i learned that white can be distracting when watching movies/playing games. I intend to watch a lot of netflix on my ipad so that may be a problem. Is it really that big of an issue? The black looks rich but the white looks clean. Ughh cant decide...

Edit: I also ordered a Black Switcheasy canvas. Bith the white ipad and black ipad should look good in it.
    ----------

haha I definitely can't afford that. And i dont travel much.

22. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

Well I was in the same boat as you. I ended up swapping my 16gb iPad for the 32 gb model. I thought I could get by one year with 16 gb but after putting some of my apps on it, I only had 8gb left. I truly think that my iPad will replace my previous notebook, so 32 was needed.

23. LanEvo macrumors 6502

I have the black b/c the white is all sold out. If you want maybe we can trade? I have a black one. Black is def. a nice color, temperate. While with the white, people know it is a new iPad.

24. imeth macrumors regular

Like I said. 32GB $660 total is a ripoff. Go to a main exchange or wait but I will be getting a $699 no tax for a 64GB.

25. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's a personal choice, but having spent a week with my new 64GB I think if you are into music and movies the bigger the better...Folks are still experimenting with Handbrake settings, but my movies are coming out around 4GB the more space you have the better.