Should I Switch To iPhone SE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Norcal., Apr 2, 2016.

?

Poll

1. Stay with iPhone 6 until 7 is released, then decide

2. Switch to iPhone SE now

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Norcal. macrumors regular

I currently use an iPhone 6 (4.7").

I don't mind 4 inch screens, and in some ways prefer it. I'd like a better camera and live photos are compelling. I could sell my 6 and almost break even by switching to the SE right now.

Should I switch or wait for the iPhone 7?

2. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

3. nfl46 macrumors 603

Well, if you wait for the iPhone 7, you won't get a 4-inch screen.

So, the question should be: do you want a 4-inch screen or 4.7-inch screen? Since you prefer the 4-inch screen, get the SE. No need waiting for the iPhone 7, as it won't offer a 4-inch screen.

4. 617aircav Suspended

If you want a better camera and Live Photos, you would have to.

5. catean macrumors regular

Go for the SE, you will love it. I switched from 6S and I couldn't be happier.

6. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

I also switched from 6s and couldn't be happier. I'm definitely not meant for larger phones.

7. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

How the &$#*& are we suppose to know what YOU want or need ? Make up your own mind. I never ask strangers on a public forum to hold my hand on anything. Read the answers and you will get all kinds of suggestions, get this, get that. Only you know what YOU want.

8. Rigby macrumors 601

I switched from a 6 to an SE. But from what you wrote it doesn't sound like the smaller form factor is a high priority for you (like it was for me). In that case I would wait and see what the iPhone 7 brings. Your iPhone 6 is still a very good phone.

9. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

When the iPhone 7 comes out what do you plan on doing?

10. catean macrumors regular

Depends of the feeling of the 7. If it's heavy and slippery as the 6S, I will go forward with my SE.

11. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

My 6s is not slippery nor heavy ( 1.5 oz heavier )....:confused:

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

People get so angry when someone asks for advice. Is it that hard to just skip the thread? You know who you are and you're not being helpful...

That said, is the better camera and live photos really your only goal? If so I would personally just wait. That said, in terms of performance, it's better than or at least equal to the 6 in all ways except the screen quality (which I don't find as bad as people try and tell you).

If I needed a better camera and money was an issue I would go for the SE. If money isn't an issue I'd go for a 6s plis, but this is based on the fact that I prefer a bigger screen. I

13. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

I would stick with the 6 for now if I were you, but if you want to try the SE get it, and then sell the 6 and you will probably break almost even in cost.

14. Norcal., Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016

Norcal. thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry - is this not a public forum meant to be used to discuss iPhone related topics? Is it really that outrageous and unreasonable of me to seek experiences or advice from people who have been or may be in a similar situation?

I'm obviously torn on the subject and am seeking advice and experiences from others that may help sway my decision. We're talking about phones here, not some major life decision that only I know the answer to. If you can't bear the sight of a topic like this perhaps you should skip it instead of act like a condescending a hole.

15. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

You already have the 6 and the SE will always be there for you... So the better question is why would you want to leave the 6 and go get the SE?

16. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

Well for starters, can you get the SE w/o paying a ETF?

No harm in trying the SE...but why don't you wait till the 7 is announced and then decide?

Those that would welcome a return to a 4" phone wouldn't be asking others for pros and cons, as a general rule, off the bat.

That leads me to think this is more a curiosity or idle thought thing...

17. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

I'm with others of the mindset that if you'd have no penalty for trying the SE, go for it. If you are able to sell your 6 before the values inevitably drop in September, you'll probably break even and have a phone with a new warranty, better camera, and faster CPU.

For more speculation, if you are blown away by the "7", you could always then sell the SE and I doubt it would lose that much value since it seems like it will slot nicely as the low-end phone for quite awhile. My guess is that Apple's post-September pricing would look something like this:

SE: $399/$499
    6s: $549/$649
    6s Plus: $649/$749
    "7": $649/$749/$849
    "7 Plus": $749/$849/$949

Keeping the 6 around would be somewhat redundant and also just complicate the lineup...but this is all a best-guess.

18. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

The reason I like the SE is *not* the 4" screen size but rather the form factor of the device. If the 6S had the non-rounded/flat design of the SE/5S then I would be all over it. If the iPhone 7 is similar in design to the 6S then I'm going to stick with the SE until a new design is implemented.

The design of the 6/6S is very feminine. As a straight man, I'd be embarrassed to use that phone without a case.

19. AintDutchNotMuch macrumors regular

AintDutchNotMuch

I know you're entitled to your opinion, but that last sentence was hilarious, and in my opinion a little bit of nonsense.

20. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

You are asking to have your hand held in asking strangers on what to get. And the answers are all over the map in what that is. Since the answers are different, now what are you going to do ? Make up your own mind by going to a store and holding one. Not hard to do.

21. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

I know I wanted a phone with a 3.5mm headphone jack and a smaller phone. If these are important then the se is a very capable phone. Just got mine and am impressed with it.

22. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

Most would agree with you Vince Black. I think Bobby Sixkiller also likes his SE. I had issues with the first one I got but I'm sure it's not as bad as being chased by Dutch. Waiting on my replacement to come in by mid-week.

23. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

Lol nice! Thought maybe I was the only one who watched that show in the 90's.

24. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

Loved that show! One of Stephen J. Cannell's (RIP) many 80s/90s classics.