Should I switch to mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aditghai, Apr 11, 2009.

1. aditghai macrumors regular

aditghai

Now, I don't want to create a big fight here between Windows and OS X. I am looking for neutral opinions please.

I am thinking of switching to a mac but I don't really NEED it. I use my Computer for school so I use Word, Excel and always multiple instance of word open to copy and paste between files. I also use my computer for IM(digsby) and a lot of web surfing.

Now-I am not a person who likes change and I know I will always compare OS X to Windows-atleast for the first few weeks-if I switch(I think thats perfectly natural).

Also-I have no annoyances with Windows right now. I have not got a virus in 3 years and I know what to downlod and what not to-to be safe from Malware and all that stuff.

In short-I like my DELL loaded with Vista a lot and the only thing quite frankly, that is pulling me towards a Mac is
    1)The design of the machine-They just look awesome
    2)OS X GUI-Is it pretty and there is no denying it.

Now-My mind says it's a stupid decision to switch just for pure design and it's a stupid decision to run primarily Windows on a Mac. But my heart says-Oh look they're just so damm cool.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Stick with Windows if you're comfortable and confident in it. No reason to get a Mac unless you really have to run OS X.

3. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

What's wrong with your Dell right now? I see you are looking at the MBP over the MB. If you have the money do what you want with it. If not, then you'll have to use some discretion.

I'd say unless your Dell was getting a bit too slow for your needs then get a Mac. Otherwise, stick with what you have until it reaches that point.

4. dantherevelator macrumors regular

YES! They're great. And I suspect that all you really wanted was validation, considering that you're asking this on a Mac forum, of all places. ;)

Yes, please switch. Welcome.

5. milk242 macrumors 6502a

You really have no reason to switch, you'll just be wasting money... I suppose you can help the economy. ;)

6. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Two perspectives: from a purely practical point of view, it would be an absolute mistake for you to switch to Mac - windows does everything you need, you like it, you are comfortable and productive in it. From another point of view - development as a person - switching to a Mac will broaden your horizons. It's a sad person who never travels outside of his/her village - even if they have everything they need in their village, and are happy there. Of course, only you can judge if "personal development", brain flexibility and just plain curiosity are worth spending a ton of cash. If it were me, I'd go for the mac... but then, I've never shied away from adventure :)

7. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

This is a great way to thing about it. Most people who switch from PCs to Macs are because their sick of having to deal with Windows and the crap it puts them through. But because you're a little bit smarter than the average PC user, you know how to take care of your computer. But that says something else right there -- you know how computers work because you know how to take care of them. Most people don't even get that far.

So why not check out what's on our side of the fence? There's a lot to see and experience on the Mac. And who knows, after giving it a couple weeks and checking out its full potential, it just might be the best "PC" you've used.

8. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

Then do not get a Mac :p. That is the very first thing NOT to do. Abandon the Windows habits because you will not find yourself enjoying the machine. If you try to work a mac like a PC you will create roadblocks for yourself and get annoyed quickly about why it "doesnt work like a PC."

I mean of course if you come across something you're not sure how to do but know how in Windows, don't be afraid to ask because it's almost always possible just a little different!

9. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

you could always run windows on your Mac! don't forget about that.

if you absolutely hate OS X (which i highly doubt you will) - you are one install away from having a great windows machine.

10. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

I honestly feel that anybody that is well grounded in the Windows and OSX environments will be better off in the long run. The dirty little secret is that the 2 operating systems arn't that different, in terms of how the user interacts with the computer. Vista is more hardware tolerant, and OSX is smoother in operation. Apple presents them in some sexy packaging, but at a price.

Also remember that Vista runs on a Mac, so you don't have to completely switch operating systems..........

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you Windows is working fine with you, there is no reason for you to waste money.

12. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I agree with some of the other posts. It sounds like you're just fishing for a reason to stick with your current computer. If you like it, keep it. If not, consider taking a mac for a spin (spend some time with one before you buy though).

But if you're unsure, wait. It certainly won't hurt anything. In the end, it's just a computer.

13. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

You won't get neutral opinions in a Mac forum, they'll be biased towards the Mac. And you won't get neutral opinions in a Windows or a PC forum, they'll be biased towards the PC. So if you want a neutral opinion, you should ask this question in... <DRUMROLL> A LINUX FORUM </DRUMROLL>

That said, here are my two cents. It doesn't look like you need a Mac right now. When your Dell becomes obsolete and too slow to serve your needs and you NEED to get a new computer, then you could think of getting a Mac if you can find a deal that is comparable to an equivalent PC (which shouldn't be too hard). For the time being, stick with your Dell.

14. acurafan macrumors 6502a

i am not one who spends for the sake of spending...i had no issues with Windows, and only reason i got a mac was dictated by work b/c i had to support them (and my white book was company expensed). otherwise i'd be perfectly happy my windows world (was for the past 25 years).

if you're comfortable in life and can afford to just to satisfy your design pleasure - then do it. you listed a MBP in your sig - assuming latest gen, that's alot of $$$ i would save for school.

15. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

A few years ago I would have said YES without question, but now that it is 2009 I definitely have to say NO.

Back in 2004/2005 Windows was at rock bottom. Malware, spyware and viruses were everywhere and there was no real way to protect yourself. At that time too, Apple had just released Tiger and it was rock solid. The two were like night and day.

These days though, Microsoft has solved almost all of its problems with XP and Vista is also very capable. In contrast, Apple released an update in 2007 called Leopard which was like taking one step forward in terms of features but ten steps backwards in terms of reliability and stability.

If you get a modern Mac, be prepared for issues like program hangs and minute-long shutdown times as well as a good few program crashes and the occasional complete lock up (known as a "Kernel Panic" they are the equivalent of the Windows "Blue Screen of Death" and force you to restart your computer to get it to function again).

You have to also factor in the learning curve of the OSs. It took me several months, if not a year to become comfortable using my Mac after I switched in 2005. Can you afford to invest all of this time in learning a new system which really is not going to bring you any benefits at all? Can you bear to sit down at your computer and have to search through menus and help files to find out where that function which was on the toolbar in Windows has been hidden in OS X?

Again, I reiterate my point that I don't think either is superior right now. When I changed from Windows to Mac it was because there were clear defects with Windows and OS X was a massively stable and reliable OS. The same statements cannot be made of either OS these days.

16. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I never get problems on any of my Leopard installs. Particularly after about 10.5.3. On the other hand, I haven't seen a BSOD on any of my XP machines for a long time either. I think both OSs are fairly stable and from what I hear Vista is now as well. Going forward, things seem to be picking up for MS and I think Windows 7 will be a hit all 'round. Not sure about Snow Leopard yet.

17. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I have to agree with you about this. Leopard has been a tragic disappointment. Many people say "I like Leopard", but a lot of them actually only know Leopard, having come to OS X pretty late in the game. By contrast, I do remember OS X from way before. And OS X kept getting better, with the best being Tiger (I'm on 10.4.11). Every iteration of OS X going forward was more stable, and faster even on older hardware. Until Leopard. Leopard was postponed because Apple engineers were working on the iPhone (this, by the way, was the official Apple explanation - they pulled coders from Leopard to work on the iPhone). And when Leopard came out, it was a pile of garbage - the lack of priority, with all the efforts going to iPhone really showed. Ever since they've been trying to patch it. In fact, Snow Leopard is what Leopard should have been - which is why originally when Jobs announced SL, he said "no new features"... meaning, really they were trying to fix what should have gotten right the first time. Snow Leopard is the real Leopard. Because Leopard as it stands now, is slower on older hardware (a first for OS X), than the preceding version, Tiger.

I only hope Snow Leopard is up to snuff, because from what is leaking out, Windows 7 is going to be very, very good. Funny that - Windows 7 is what Vista should have been, and SL is what Leopard should have been. I expect such sloppy practices from Microsoft (releasing beta software as final), but was very disappointed that Apple did so... Leopard really is beta (or even alpha).

18. aditghai thread starter macrumors regular

aditghai

OK-So I tried using a mac for an hour or so at work(iMac) and actually loved using it.

However, Since I have no reason to switch - I am going to buy a mac after I finish school -Spring 2010(Hopefully-Please no budget cuts-Arnold:mad:)

That way my DELL will be 2.5 years old and I can spend more time playing around with my mac and also that way I won't have to use the money I have saved up for college.

Thank you people.

Have a :apple: day

19. jimbo1337 macrumors newbie

OK if you want the best deal for your money follow these steps:

1. go to newegg.com
    2. buy an intel core 2 quad Q9400 CPU, P45 chipset motherboard, antec/corsair 400-500w powersupply, 4-8GB of DDR2-800 RAM, windows vista 64-bit OEM, a WD SATA 500GB Hardrive, a DVD burner,an antec 300 computer case, and if you wanna play games then get a radeon 4850/4870/GTX 260 graphics card and up the powersuppply to 550-650w and you will have a kickbutt system that owns the crap out of any dell/hp/mac POS system :D

if you dont play games get a cheapy 4350 graphics card for $20.
    3. Put the whole system together, anyone who tells you its too hard needs to LRN2COMPUTR.
    4. Be glad you didnt waste your money on a prebuilt computer (especially an overpriced mac)

20. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

They want a notebook. You wasted your time posting this.

Good idea. Might as well get your money's worth on the Dell.

21. hldomster macrumors member

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/misc/144655-windows-vs-os-x.html#post685882
    :)