Should I switch to T Mo?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tl01, Sep 24, 2015.

1. tl01 macrumors 65816

Okay... help me out... I was going to stay with ATT... as was the rest of my family plan members... but then we started talking and actually agree that maybe we should switch. We are in the Los Angeles area but some of us travel a lot. It certainly seems cheaper... but what is the best way to do this and take advantage of their cell phone plans. I was going to do the apple financing... but that doesn't seem like the cheapest way with T Mo. How would you recommend we do this? I think we only have one of 5 phones in a contract right now. We all have 5s or higher phones. Please advise.... as tomorrow is getting closer.

If we will regret it... just tell me... and that's fine. I am happy to stay even though our ATT coverage isn't excellent. Currently we pay about $280 for 5 phones sharing 40 GB of data.

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If you travel a lot keep AT&T!

My T-Mo friend still has to borrow my iPhone on AT&T on road trips cause his T-Mo iPhone has NO SERVICE!

3. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

We're paying 160 for 4 lines and 20gb of data. Try calling AT&T and tell them you're planning to switch and they may lower your monthly bill by a good amount. Support for AT&T's band 30 might help with signal strength and reception.

If you're set on switching to TMobile though, you can't go wrong with free service in Mexico, Canada and even abroad. The best way would be to finance through Apple and get a phone from them. It'll be unlocked and can be used with other carriers.

4. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Assuming T-Mobile's coverage is good in the areas you travel to frequently, you can save a TON of money by switching to T-Mobile.

Here's what you need to do:

1) T-Mobile's coverage map is pretty darn accurate, especially for outdoor settings/driving in the car. See if it meets your needs.

2) You can get 10 GB of data for each of your 5 lines for $160 a month. Plus, you'll enjoy all of the rest of T-Monile's great features.

3) T-Mobile will pay off the existing phone that you have that is locked into a contract, provided that you trade-in a phone for that one line. I would suggest turning in an old smartphone (instead of the 5s) and then selling the 5s on your own. But some people prefer the convenience factor of not having to do anything.

Then, sit back and smile, because you just saved yourself a minimum of $1,440 a year.

5. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

In all fairness, it's best to check the coverage map which is fairly accurate. Yes, there are large rural areas that T-Mobile does not cover yet, but T-Mobile's coverage is excellent in other areas.

It all comes down to where you need service...

6. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

7. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

8. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

Why finance through Apple? Isn't the JUMP promotion the reason to do go to T Mo? Do you pay less for their service if you do it that way? If we leave ATT... I am sort of screwed because we have the double your data promotion... we won't get it back:(.

9. HeroGuy macrumors newbie

HeroGuy

I'm not sure of the details, but if you trade in a phone when you go to buy your new one, your monthly hardware fee get's bumped down.

That was enough incentive for me to go with TMo.

10. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

That's a predicament. It seems really expensive though. Call AT&T and see if you can get them to lower the price a bit.

I recommend getting lines through Apple because they're usually unlocked. The ones through the carriers usually are not. Check out Costco if you are a member. They're offering a free accessory kit and a $100 Costco card with 6s preorders.

11. flur macrumors 68000

REALLY check that coverage map, and talk to people in your area that have T-Mo. T-Mo is headquartered here in the Seattle area and even here the signal is really, really spotty.

12. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yeah you want to use the new JUMP promotions instead of Apple financing. It comes out a lot cheaper. Plus the Apple financing forces you to get AppleCare, which adds to the cost if I'm not mistaken.

Check the coverage maps and see if they offer service where you live and travel. If they do, it's a no brainer as they blow away the barebones offerings of AT&T. If not, then keep paying AT&T.

13. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

I switched to tmo from at&t. mileage may vary but the new 6s has the 700mhz band that tmo is slowly turning on this year in a lot of places. it makes for strong consideration given the savings.

14. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Unless you are traveling to remote locations or across country via car I recommend t-mobile. It's present in almost every major market and with good signal strength.

15. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

So with JUMP, what is the monthly price of say a 6s plus 64 trading in a 5s? It can't be less than the 16.... I am not understanding this graph.

Attached Files:

16. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

The vast majority of the travel is via plane. If there is travel via car it would be in California along major freeways.

17. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I would not finance the phones from Apple at this time. By going with T-Mobile, you will be saving $125 off the cost of each iPhone you lease/buy. (Assuming you buy the phone at the end of the lease or when you decide to upgrade.)

As I mentioned before, check out their coverage map and see of they offer service in the areas you frequently visit. If they do, then give them a shot. T-Mobile offers a lifetime service guarantee as long as you're using the 6s. If you don't like the service, they will refund you every penny you spent for the first 30 days, or if it's alter than 30 days, they will refund you for one month's worth of service. They will also let you turn in your phones, or you can pay them off and they will unlock them so you can go to another carrier. No gimmicks.

And if you want to be really sure, you can use your T-Mobile phones without canceling your AT&T service. Sure, you're double-paying for a week or two, but it gives you a chance to test-drive and remain with AT&T if you don't like it.

Just trying to help with some quick suggestions since you're trying to decide today. So you know where I'm coning from, I'm a 18-year AT&T customer that is switching now. I'm holding on to out AT&T plan for a week or two just to make sure things work on T-Mobile as advertised. Basically, I'm in the same boat as you. And I did am insane amount of research over the last couple of weeks, so I feel pretty up-to-speed on your options.

Hope this helps...

18. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Band 30 is a high frequency (less signal strength [distance/penetration] and reception). Ironically to your statement T-Mobile has Band 12 that is a lower frequency that is better for signal strength and reception.

19. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

It is in fact a dollar less per month. It's T-Mobile's way of getting you to consider upgrading to a device with more storage. Your cost would be $99 up-front (plus tax on that $99) and then $13 a month (with tax each month on that $13).

Another thing to consider is trading in your multiple 5s's is easy and hassle-free, but if you want to put in a little more work, you can sell them on your own and make approximately $80-$100 more for each phone you sell.

P.S. Just to make sure you have the right lingo down, you mentioned Jump, but we're actually talking about Jump on Demand (JOD). There are differences between those two programs and JOD is the one you're looking at and the one you want to go with.

20. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

Switched from AT&T to T-Mobile around Labor Day. Drove from Detroit to Chicago and never not had service. The LTE in metro detroit KILLS AT&T. I'm happy.

21. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I have been with AT&T for over a decade. However I'm going to give T-Mobile a try. I'm very interested in the streaming music deal. If the coverage/service doesn't work out I'll move back to AT&T next month. Or I may try Sprint and then try Verizon

It's a 'new day' in the mobile phone industry and not being tied to a carrier is going to be a step towards nirvana.

22. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

It's a new band without widespread support from phones though isn't it? I was thinking that it was like an empty lane on the highway which would benefit OP a lot.

23. AppleChic76 macrumors 6502

AppleChic76

I don't know what this chart is going through, but if you are trading in a 5s it's $10 per month before taxes and insurance, per John Legere.

24. rockitdog macrumors 68020

You should have no problems then!

25. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Most of the Great Lakes area has very good service. I switched from Verizon to Tmo last March and have been to California(SoCal), Michigan(lower peninsula), Florida(Orlando), and even up to Toronto, Canada(free roaming on Telus!) and have always retained very excellent service!

I reside in the Greater Cleveland, Ohio area and always have very fast LTE.