Should I switch to the AT&T version?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AdonisSMU, Mar 19, 2012.

1. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

It seems like AT&T version lte iPad gets way faster speeds based on what I'm seeing in these forums. I have a Verizon iPad now and I get 20d/20u

2. MR1324 macrumors 6502

3. Disbchris macrumors newbie

It is gonna vary depending on where you live tho...

4. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

This.

I'm thinking about going the other way. I have no idea when AT&T will have LTE in my area while Verizon does. I could deal with waiting, despite knowing that people who are lucky enough to be in the very small number of AT&T markets with LTE are paying the same amount that I am for faster speeds. However, my speed over the last four days is actually slower than 3G. I am lucky if I even get to 2MB DOWNLOAD, not upload. I called tech support to try to get some help to see whether I needed to replace my device when the call got disconnected - twice. I'm either going to switch to Verizon, which I don't want to do because I've always hated them, or I'm going to stick it out with AT&T and hope LTE comes in the next few months like I was told. I don't want to completely return the device.

5. PPFee macrumors 6502

PPFee

Where do you live, I'm assuming you do not have HSPA+ coverage from att in your area if you claim you are receiving less than 3g speeds(what are your speeds btw). 2Mbps~if thats right than that is still 3g speeds, and approximately what you would receive from verizon (3g not LTE obviously). Go into a att store if you have one in ur neighborhood and check out some speed test results on a few of their devices if you want to check your areas speeds while being sure its not a hardware issue.

6. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

I should be getting 4g/HSPA+ speeds, at least according to the coverage map. Plus my iPad does show 4G on it and not 3G. I was trying to find out why I'm getting only speeds of around 3mb down/1 mb up.

7. imlynxy macrumors 65816

I have AT&T iPhone 4s. I have stable 4-5 mb down low2,top7. I live in the border of AT&T and verizon lte. nothing works in my place. but I don't need LTE at home. may be I need ability to have hot spot in case of emergency. also Verizon LTE footprint next to my area is 4 times bigger compare to AT&T.

I prefer to have diversity. hotspot availability.20/1 plan. and lte on 700 mHz which be completed sooner. sorry, att, this my first device with verizon.

8. AdonisSMU thread starter macrumors 603

Sure right after you tell me why anyone needs any of this stuff.

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It's a legitimate question, despite the little bit of attitude. :rolleyes: I mean 20Mbps down? What can you possibly do on an iPad that you'd need or want 30 or 40? I'm getting 15-20 on my LTE and have opted to turn if off. My 4G HSPA+ is giving be 4-8Mbps and uses less battery, and MacRumors only takes a second more to refresh! :D

10. bidwalj macrumors 65816

Exactly right. If you are getting 20 down and down, what possibly can you do on your ipad that will make a dif? For surfing and streaming, even faster speeds wont really matter.

11. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

Attn: ZBoater

This is completely off-topic but who is the baby in your screen shot? Every time I see one of your posts, I have to smile at that funny baby!:). Oops sorry never mind- I checked your profile. And it is a very funny pic.

12. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

Over here in Ventura Cali AT&T for some reason gets pretty fast download speeds compared to Verizon.

Like everyone is saying though, depends where you live.

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

14. MR1324 macrumors 6502

owned

yup exactly. switch carriers because he's not getting 30, 40, 50Mbps compared to ATT? can't imagine what any one would do with that speed except heavy downloading or mass sharing of a connection. even land lines rarely go that fast.

15. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

The thing with att is it takes them forever to expand. Calling them to find out when LTE will be in your area will not help I've already tried, and they don't know.

I currently have the att iPad with no LTE in my city and I just recently got a verizon iPad and verizon has LTE in my city. Im going to give verizon a try and see how good their coverage is, if its good I'm just going to send my att iPad back to apple.

16. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

I would not make any decisions based on speed tests until the iPhone gets LTE. Until then be happy with the speed that you can get now. They are certainly going to change in the future.

17. shareef777 macrumors 68020

shareef777

I live in the Chicago area, and even when on LTE, the best speed I've been able to get is 6M down. I'm able to get 15-20M on a friends Verizon MiFi.

Would I be able to switch my (online ordered) unit at a local apple store for the Verizon model without paying a fee. ATT is horrible where I'm at. I was lured to the ATT model because of the extra 1GB of bandwidth at the same price. Extra 1G does me no good if I can't even go thru the first 2GB.

18. PPFee macrumors 6502

PPFee

Hmm. thats rough, i mean technically they can say you are getting legit speeds, thats really not bad and about what i average in my house on the 4S, you should download the ATT app called mark the spot, to report data speeds and network issues. I personally feel they do respond to it, though not immediately of course. This is about the high end of what you should get on their HSPA+ network, this pic shows the highest upload I've gotten the other day, but the highest download was about 7.11. Edit-just to clarify, this is my iPhone 4S on ATT HSPA+
    [​IMG]

19. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

Be happy that I am getting maybe 1.5MB download for $30 a month while others are getting either at least 5MB down on HSPA+ or are lucky to have LTE? No, thank you. Like I have said before, I could have waited for AT&T to bring LTE to my area if my HSPA+ download speed was a lot higher. My service is barely usable right now. I should not have to wait a couple of minutes for each page to load.

20. PPFee macrumors 6502

PPFee

I understand, i think his point was probably directed at iPhones, as what your getting is equal or more than what many sprint and verizon iPhone customers get. Nevertheless, if you can get faster speeds with verizon and don't feel like waiting for ATT, by all means.