Should I switch? UK Simplicity Plan for iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mkjj, Jan 13, 2014.

1. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

When I contract ran out on the original iPhone/3GS I jumped to an o2 Simplicity Plan for the iPhone (not available now). Costs me £21.00 pm iPhone 4s

600 mins, which is enough
    1200 texts, which is way more than enough!
    Unlimited Data
    AND it's a 30 day rolling contract.

I do fancy a new phone with 4G out now etc, i'm hesitant to loose my existing contract but I could buy a phone outright and keep my contract. :confused:

I really like having unlimited data as a 'just in case' to use the likes of SkyGo. I'm going to reset Data Usage and see exactly what I am using.

Anyone else been in the same situation?

Thanks

2. derbyshire2013 macrumors member

I haven't been in a similar situation to you BUT have you considered Three at all?

For example their One Plan includes AYCE data, 2000 minutes, 5000 Three to Three minutes and 5000 texts for £18 a month.

With that plan you can also use your phone to tether at no extra cost plus they are rolling out 4G in select towns and cities from February 2014 onwards.

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

+1 to Three if you want 4G as well.

I know giffgaff are rolling out 4G around March which uses O2's network (though their 4G is only really any good in London), and although they haven't announced prices, I'd think they would be very competitive.

4. mkjj thread starter macrumors 6502a

mkjj

Thanks for the reply guys, will have a look at 3 as I had not really thought about them.

5. mappyman macrumors regular

Was in the same situation as you, same plan.

I switched to Three. Dont regret it as its unlimited data as well. Plus threes price INCLUDES VAT £15 on the one plan (12 month).

Only down side is MMS messages cost 25p and dont come out of your allowance.

6. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Try GiffGaff

£12 per month gives you:

250 minutes
    Unlimited Texts
    Unlimited Data*

No contract

*as unlimited as mobile services are in the EU!

7. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Same position and switched to three as well

Actually much better 3G coverage after travelling around the country.

Faster average speeds

Ability to tether which is very useful

Negatives
    Not quite as good indoor signal coverage
    A few call issues at my home postcode with calls dropping occasionally

8. macgrl macrumors 65816

I was in a similar situation and moved to three. It's a one month rolling contract and so I thought I would give them a go and leave if I didn't like them. So far so good 4 months on

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Another +1 for three

Attached Files:

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

11. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

This thread just saved me £7/month :D

I've been on 3s One Plan for almost a year, although when I signed up to the rolling 1 month contract it was £25/month, and have been pretty happy with the unlimited data which can also be tethered.

Just called them and the new plan is exactly the same, but now only £18/month (or £15 if you're happy to commit to 12 months, which I'm not) so they moved my tariff.

Just a shame their customer service isn't good enough to automatically move you to the cheapest comparable tariff, but at least I noticed thanks to Macrumors :D

12. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

3 are good value, but prepare to loose you hair when you try to leave. Customer service is pretty bad - but other than that they are good.

13. mkjj thread starter macrumors 6502a

mkjj

I've heard that also. I've been with o2 forever and have nothing but good things to say about the CS, I know other people won't agree.

Does 3 have Visual Voicemail as well?

Decisions, decisions. Glad someone saved some money as well :)

14. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

No to visual voicemail but can't say I miss it.

15. mkjj thread starter macrumors 6502a

mkjj

That's a shame. I like VV.

16. macgrl macrumors 65816

I thought I would miss vv when I moved from O2 to. 3 so I got hulo mail. Better than O2 visual voice mail I think

17. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

unlimited data? I pay twice as much as that and had to beg for an extra 1GB to make it 2GB when I was upgrading on Orange, and still on 3G

18. mkjj thread starter macrumors 6502a

mkjj

This was the original iPhone contract back in 2007. When the contracts ended o2 brought out this plan to keep existing iPhone customers. I heard about it on the o2 forums and rang them up, at first they said it had not been officially released but would switch me to it anyway.

I'm positive when it was released it was £25 but couldn't be sure.

19. biohead macrumors 6502

Another one for Three here. Used to preach Giffgaff, but for an extra £3 a month you get a MUCH better 3G network, tethering included, HD voice (my first 3-3 call stunned me!), free 4G and it's a damn sight more reliable than giffgaff has been for the past 18 months or so.

The One Plan (12 months)
    £15/month
    2000 mins (5000 3-3 mins)
    5000 texts
    Unlimited Data + Tethering

Although I have heard rumours the price will be going up at the end of January for new contracts - conveniently as 4G starts rolling out.

I thought that too... but I've noticed MMS messages aren't costing me anything and that I do get them included. I signed up in November - not sure if it was a promo at the time (it certainly wasn't mentioned though).

20. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Great deal. All the networks are usually saying if it's NOT an iphone we can give better deals, but if it IS an iphone their hands are tied and they're not allowed to do this that or the other. Have had this every upgrade with Orange

21. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If you go into a full view of your bill there included. Honestly don't know why but they are.

22. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

O2's 4G is excellent in Nottingham as well. Not in the city, but just about everywhere else.

23. derbyshire2013 macrumors member

I wholly agree.

I was 7 months into a 24 month airtime agreement with them but wanted the iPhone 5 on EE LTE.

Called up to cancel, the whole process took about half an hour and by the time the call terminated I was positively suicidal.

But in terms of AYCE data etc then yes, Three are the dogs bits!