Should I switch?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Burnsey, Apr 10, 2008.

  1. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #1
    Well not to mac, seeing as I've owned my MBP for over a year. But my dad is getting a new top of the line blackbook and he says he would trade for my MBP if I want. I am a college student, so portability is important and although my MBP is pretty portable for a 15inch notebook, sometimes I feel it's a little excessive.

    In trading for the blackbook I would get a much bigger 250GB HD vs my 120GB, a 2.4ghz penryn vs. my 2.33ghz Merom, and the ability to upgrade to 4GB of ram instead of my 3gb max.

    My biggest worry about the macbook is quality, I've heard a lot about cracking cases and was wondering if they've fixed this by now, and/or if this is less prominent on the blackbooks vs whitebooks? How easily does the black get scratched? Another thing I'd be losing is my big display, now this isn't too bad since I use an external one when I'm at home, and wouldn't mind a smaller display in class/library, but how good is the quality of the blackbook display?

    Have they improved the isight with newer macbooks? And what is the average idle temperature (CPU A)? How many slots for ram do the new macbooks have?

    btw the downgrade in GFX card is not too important either, the heaviest program I use is Photoshop CS3 which is more CPU dependent.

    Overall would anyone recommend switching from a beautiful but older aluminum 15inch MBP to a new top of the line blackbook?
     
  2. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2004
    Location:
    Torontoland
    #2
    I've got both - although not the same specs.

    Black MacBook C2D - 2.0 Ghz
    MPB C2D - 2.16 Ghz

    Keep the MBP. The quality is much better than that of the MacBook and it just feels more solid.
     
  3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    #3
    I wouldn't do it. The only real advantages of the switch would be the newer battery and the bigger hard drive. If you get a Macbook, it WILL crack eventually. If you don't want to deal with that, stick with the MBP. It doesn't sound like you actually need the MB for anything, and are merely considering it because it's newer and slightly smaller.
     
  4. Cybix macrumors 6502a

    Cybix

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2006
    Location:
    Western Australia
    #4
    The MBP is a far better machine regardless of the specifications... for me anyway. I use my expresscard slot a lot, love the extra screen resolution, look/feel of the alu... mmmm PRO
     
  5. xraydoc macrumors 604

    xraydoc

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2005
    Location:
    192.168.1.1
    #5
    I say it depends - which is more important to you: some improvement in mobility (slightly lighter, smaller footprint on the desk) or a bigger screen and faster 3D graphics?

    Me - I gave my wife a 2.16GHz CD 15" MBP w/ 2GB of RAM and a 100GB 7,200 RPM drive and got myself a 2.2GHz SR black MacBook and I'm much happier.
     
  6. Kalafut macrumors regular

    Kalafut

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2008
    Location:
    pocatello
    #6
    if your even considering it you can switch me!;) keep the MBP, and if you wanna take me up on my deal pm me:D
     
  7. krye macrumors 68000

    krye

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    Location:
    USA
    #7
    No contest. Keep the MBP. Upgrading the hard drive/RAM is so cheap by comparison. The build quality, screen size, and dedicated graphics are way better. Not to mention a higher resale value should you choose to sell it for the next revision. Shame on your old man for trying to con you for it!
     
  8. Burnsey thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #8
    Thanks for the input guys! I guess the best thing to do would be to wait until it arrives to see :)

    haha he isn't trying to con me into it! He likes the macbook! I'm just exploring possibilities!
     

Share This Page