Should i take a chance in exchanging my phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Oct 21, 2010.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

my iphone 4 has been giving some minor problems which i dont know if they are software or not but anyway. the problems are.

my screen flashes at me when i slide to unlock it. its not a flicker its more like the screen flashes.

i also have a tempermental home button. it happens rarely but it does happen enough. i thought at first it was 4.1 and still do cause i only started noticing it more after 4.1 but im wondering if its my home button just going bad. even today i hit the home button so i could slide my phone to unlock it and it seemed to not respond until 2nd click. i have restored and set up as new phone. too.

my question is should i take a chance and exchange it and by now are all the phones in stores refurbs and what are chances i can get something worse?

have people been exchanging and getting worse replacemet?

2. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I got a replacement last week. It was new.

3. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

how did u know? did it come in a brand new box?

4. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

I would try wiping the phone and reinstalling iOS before bringing it in. Could be a small corruption. It is worth the time before going as far as returning your device.

I swapped my 3g for a "Reman" and it was perfectly fine. They are basically new. New glass, new shell. They just repurpose the guts.

5. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

It should be new. Or at least function like it would new, and it should look new. As the poster above said, it might be refurb 'guts.'

6. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

I thought I mentioned that I did restore and set up as new phone the flash on the screen was still there. And the home button thing could be 4.1 but also a few people here complained about their home buttons getting worse over time.

7. M0bius1 macrumors newbie

I tend to have bad luck with the first Apple products I buy. My first iPod died randomly, I took it to the store, they gave me a new one with the plastic still on it, no questions asked.

I got a new Macbook Pro, a few weeks later the screen started collecting dust in between the glass, I took it in, they examined it and sent it in and had the screen replaced with no cost to me.

Then I get an iPhone 3gs. It was the white version and it started to develop cracking in the housing for no reason, never dropped or anything. I take it in, they replace it and give me a new one with the plastic on. No questions asked.

I got the iPhone 4, nothing has happened to it. *Knocks on wood*

To make a long story short, Apple is really generous with there replacements so if you have any legitimate issues, make an appointment with the Genius Bar and explain to the Apple Tech what is going on and they will likely just hand you a new product. As long as your still under warranty. :D