Should I take in my 15" rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by forza69, Oct 4, 2013.

1. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

I've been debating on whether or not I should take my computer into the Apple store. I feel like the battery drains too quickly. At the moment I only have Chrome, 1Password, iMessage, iPhoto and iTunes running. In Chrome I have 3 tabs open, Facebook, MacRumors and YouTube. I have the screen brightness to all but 5 of the little squares and the backlit keyboard to only 5 squares. I also usually have Airmail running with push notifications. I unplugged it from full charge about 30 minutes ago and the battery indicator changes from 3:30hrs left to 4:15hrs left to 3:05hrs left etc. It's at 88% now. Does this seem like normal behavior from a pretty new battery? I bought it in December of last year.

2. seinman macrumors regular

YouTube uses Flash, which kills the battery like crazy. Close the YouTube tab and see if your estimated battery time increases.

3. smacman macrumors 6502

I get 4-5 hours from my rMBP under light use. I can stretch that to 5-6 if I use Safari instead of Chrome. Having said that, any sort of heavy work in Aperture or Final Cut drops it down to 2-3.

4. Quackers macrumors 6502a

With light use I get considerably more than 5 hours.
    In fact, I'm getting nearly 5 hours out of my Windows EFI installation which uses the Nvidia card exclusively.

5. forza69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

forza69

Well then I guess there's no need to take it in then if you guys are getting similar battery hours. I just find it weird of a computer battery running out so quickly. The rMBP is my first laptop, having been a desktop user prior to it.

6. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Chrome is a battery disaster. Don't use it. You'll be surprised on the improvement.