Should I take it back?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smc333, Feb 9, 2010.

1. smc333 macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

So I bought the low end 15" MBP last Saturday. With this anticipation for the new MBPs, I'm becoming to realize a new release is imminent.

As an engineering major, many of you told me to go PC. So I looked, and my local Best Buy has a Core i7 Sony, with 6GB RAM, nVidia 330 and 500GB HDD with a 1080p screen for 500 less than I paid.

Since most of my software is PC, do you guys really think I should just bite the bullet and get the Sony, or take this back and wait for a refresh, because this C2D is horridly out of date for the money.

2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

do research before you buy....

you dont buy something then complain about it being outdated.

3. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

I think you really want a mac and would be extremeley happy and productive with it. Bring it back and wait for the update, seems like next week will be it.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You're going to be spending all of your time in windows anyway, I'd just get the windows laptop tbh.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

February 9, 2010 ...seems like next week will be it.
    February 2, 2010 ...seems like next week will be it.
    January 26, 2010 ...seems like next week will be it.
    January 19, 2010 ...seems like next week will be it.
    January 12, 2010 ...seems like next week will be it.
    January 5, 2010 ...seems like next week will be it.
    December 29, 2009 ...seems like next week will be it.
    December 22, 2009 ...seems like next week will be it.
    December 15, 2009 ...seems like next week will be it.
    December 8, 2009 ...seems like next week will be it.
    December 1, 2009 ...seems like next week will be it.
    November 24, 2009 ...seems like next week will be it.
    November 17, 2009 ...seems like next week will be it.
    November 10, 2009 ...seems like next week will be it.
    November 3, 2009 ...seems like next week will be it.

6. smc333 thread starter macrumors regular

This seems to be the convention. I love OS X, but I will need AutoCAD occasionally and Visual Studio.

I'm just thinking I bought too little power for the money here.

7. Cali3350 macrumors regular

That is always a personal decision, however from my point of view you most certainly did. You bought 3 year old architecture with a pretty case and a lit up keyboard.

Can you return the macbook for the 14 day exchange window? If so just hold on to what you have until the 13th day and return it if nothing is out / exchange it if it is.

8. sauer228 macrumors member

You answered your own question.

9. jodr macrumors member

To hear you say it, you'd think Core 2 Duo was an antique. The i Core is a significant evolution of it, sure. But there's good reason Apple and other PC makers are still selling plenty of systems with c2d in them - it's a lot of power. i Core is just still more power...that people will barely use. Even a engineer will do well with one. If somebody just wants to get to work now, the productivity in the interim between systems could very well be worth it.

10. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

You could get a HP Envy 15" if you like the mac-like styling.

11. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Have you tried running any of your PC programs on your Mac? I'd see how your MBP handles these applications before you make any decisions.

Habitus :apple:

12. jajohns8 macrumors regular

I recently bought a macbook pro and all of my development stuff/work stuff, games, etc. are in Windows.

I use bootcamp to boot into Windows 7 64bit now, and just play around with MAC OSX occasionally.

I wanted a very solid, good quality laptop, and the mbp 15" fits the bill.

Sure, I could have paid less for another brand loaded with Windows, but I wanted to spend the extra on the design and quality of the MBP.

I have no complaints. I'm very happy with my purchase.

As far as taking it back, I need a working laptop now, so I cant really afford to wait. If new models are available tomorrow in the store, then hey, maybe I would. But if we are months out, that's just too far for me.

13. Fireman451 macrumors newbie

Fireman451

You bought a Mac to run Windows 7? :confused:

It amazes me that someone would by a Mac for the quality of build but not utilize the OS that's tailored to work with the hardware., hence the whole Mac experience compared to Windows.

Windows 7 is proving to be a solid OS on its own, and as someone whose household has both PC and Mac, I find it difficult to understand monetarily.

If you grew up on a Mac but need something Windows based for work, I can understand the logic of running MS Office, though iWork and OpenOffice could provide the same benefit since the Mac version of MS Office cannot perform macros anyway (for those few who actually utilize that function). iWork and OpenOffice and can save and open MS Office attachments.

But if you're as Windows guy (like I am still at work and home), whywaste that much money on a Mac just to run Windows, it'd be like buying an Audi but removing the engine for a Lexus engine because you like it better. Buy the Lexus . . .or in this case, why not buy a top of the line Vaio? Vaio is a very good laptop/PC, especially with 7 (plus BluRay, more HD, more RAM, more ports, more options, etc. for the same money or less).

Weird, but to each their own I guess.

14. smc333 thread starter macrumors regular

Look, I'll always respect Apple and their design, but I'm just in a position better suited for PCs.

Thanks everyone.

15. Fireman451 macrumors newbie

Fireman451

Okay, great. But if you have Windows software and need to run Windows, did you really need an Apple message board to convince you to buy a Windows machine?

:rolleyes:

Go with the Vaio, it's a good machine, and Windows 7 is a solid OS.

Best of luck and try this forum: http://forums.windowsforum.org/

16. smc333 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, you're right. I had the Apple, which was why I asked. But you guys seem to agree, so if Apple users think a PC is my better choice, then it must be.