Should I take it in to Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tydog07, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

Hey guys, hope you're enjoying your weekend. Anyhow, I've been having a dilemma recently.

When I turn my macbook on (and after I log in), it'll go to the desktop and automatically open a finder window open to the Mac OS folder (system files I assume). During random times, my macbook will make clicking sounds, which I assume has to do with the display/hinge or inside the the case (very helpful right :D). It also doesn't connect to the HDMI/MDP adaptors like it's supposed to, I have to put my Macbook to sleep first then turn it back on before it'll recognize the external display. When it finally does recognize the display, it'll not load to the optimized settings (1080 vs. 720, over-scanning, etc.). The only thing that is holding me back from taking it in is that I have installed 8GB of ram and I have put in the Momentus XT hard drive into my macbook and I don't want to lose those if I take it back in. Any suggestions as to what I should do?

2. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I have always had great service and consideration from Apple, I would take it in, and be honest. They will work with you and be very fair :)

3. Tydog07 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know what you're saying, and I don't care if I get 8GB of their ram back if they have to replace or do anything to my mac, but I don't want to lose my Momentus XT hard drive.

4. yawns macrumors member

Maybe I'm not understanding the question, but I don't understand why you think you're going to "lose," the upgrades that you've made. They're not going to take something out just because it's aftermarket.

On the other hand, if the hardware is determined to be a problem (the clicking might be the harddrive, but the other stuff sounds unrelated), then of course they'll have to replace it to fix the problems.

Have you checked your start-up items for something that would be launching the finder? (system prefs->users and groups->login items.)

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Apple won't touch your aftermarket parts. If one of them is the cause of the problem, they'll tell you and let you do the replacement on your own, but under no circumstances will they simply remove them and replace with something else (after all, those parts aren't under their warranty, and they're not going to replace something that they have no obligation to replace).

jW

6. Tydog07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just fixed my login problem, thank you!

Alright, I guess I will take it in, I've read before on this forum that the display hinge can be a problem, I took it in once before, and the back edge wasn't flush (the black hinge cover thingy) against the aluminum case. A genius tried to straighten it out.

7. mpt-matthew macrumors regular

Finder window opening:
    Are you using Lion? I am and sometimes this happens to me if i don't uncheck the resume feature while shutting down. I think it's because finder may be open (or even just running) so when you turn back on, it opens the window again.
    As said before, also check your startup items.

Clicking sounds:
    For a while, my MBP annoyed me with random clicking noises. If it is the same thing that i hear, then it's normal.
    It's the hard drive protecting itself from a potential drop. It has an accelerometer on it, and when it detects a drop, it clicks (moves the writer away from the surface) to protect your drive. Cleaver!

HDMI to MDP:
    I had issues with HDMI to MDP when using a high-res dell monitor (which i got rid of for another reason). Check your converter, as some don't support certain resolutions. What is the display you are using, as this could also be part of the issue?

If all else fails... I'm taking it you sold your old ram and HDD (hence you can't just copy back your OS just while you take it to apple). You might as well try take it back. As after talking to a genius, it seems like if the problem is something else they will be ok with it.

Hope this helps.

8. Tydog07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I fixed the start-up problem, the machine will click when the computer is off and I tried multiple adapters on multiple displays. I believe I have the old ram but the Hard Drive is being used in an enclosure with a bunch of video footage, so I can't use that. I just don't want them to immediately to blame the problem on my installation job.