Should I take it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bobriot, Feb 8, 2009.

1. bobriot macrumors member

My refurb Macbook arrived Friday with a hole in the box, upon opening the back of the alu case has a very small dent. I telephoned Apple 15 mins later who then offered a £70 goodwill gesture if I keep the unit. I tried to get £100 but they politely told me to get lost.

Anyway I've come to my senses and I'm going to call back to see if I can still get the £70 they offered. I am certain that they would rather not have it back and I also appreciate that they are not going to give it away either.

Should I take the £70 or send it back and order a new one?

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Depends on how concerned you are about cosmetics and how bad the dent is. If you really think its going to bother you, then send it back. If the dent is something you'll be able to live with/ignore then I'd take the money.

3. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

No way. Get a new unit!

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Get a new unit! If it's been hit hard enough for a dent, it's likely there is other damage internally. don't take chances.

5. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

pictures please.

I would demand a new one. (Another Refurb)

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd have to see the dent. £70 is a lot of money, so if it's not so bad, it may be worth keeping.

If you've registered and created a personal account at Apple.com before, I'd ask them to make a note of the dent on the machine. Ask the person over the phone to write down in your Apple account that the refurb you purchased already had a dent in it when it arrived, and that you didn't make the dent yourself.

The problem is that if you have a problem with your laptop later and it needs fixing, Apple may tell you that the damage to your computer could have been due to you physically damaging it yourself. After all, there's a dent in the machine, and they don't form themselves!!

If the person can do this for you, then I'd keep the refurb. If s/he doesn't, then I'd ask for a refund, or ask them to get you a "new" refurb.

7. acrahm macrumors regular

if you take the 70, does that void any warranties? also how long would the turn around be from when you send it in to when the new one arrives?

and lastly how "bad" to do you need it? i mean if aren't going to have a computer while this is gone and have a project that needs to be done, then that would sway your decision?

8. maestrocasa macrumors regular

+1
    If they will fully document the damage AND give the £70, then take it. If they deny either, I would demand a replacement. It's an expensive machine, don't take chances on unseen internal damage that they won't fix later. £70 doesn't go very far at the apple service center!

9. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

I dont know how much that &70 is but I would get a new one. It seems like a risk to keep

10. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

12. bobriot thread starter macrumors member

mmmmmm

1000 jawbreakers is tempting but I think that sending the unit back is the best bet. Thanks again MacRumours your sage advice is always top notch.

Here's to my new unit not arriving with a dent.

oh and here is a picture for your info....

http://www.eggbanjo.com/images/macbook_dent.jpg