Should I take my iMac to the Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PeteyV, Oct 29, 2012.

1. PeteyV macrumors member

I'm wondering whether or not I'm being too anal to take my 2010 iMac 27 to the Apple Store because of a dead pixel? They had replaced my LCD last year because of a yellow tint on my screen and the replacement LCD had a dead pixel or two.

The glass screen was also somewhat scratched which I do not believe I did since it stays in one spot always but it could have been possible that during transportation I did it.

The dead pixel is some what bothersome when reading text on a white screen otherwise it cant be seen. Input?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If you aren't happy with it, take it in. Although you should consider that a new display has the potential to have dead pixels as well. It's a calculated risk of course and you need to decide if it's worth it to you or not.

3. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

You may have left it a little late to now highlight your possible dissatisfaction with a repair competed last year. Only last Friday I went to pick up my 27" iMac after a screen replacement but when we booted it up in store I noticed a weird mark on the new screen, almost like a dead pixel. Long and short of it, Apple tech guy came up from the repair room, conceded it wasn't right and to his credit took it back in and installed a new screen while I waited in around 30 minutes. He reckoned that when the replacement screen had been fitted the tech must have scratched the actual LCD panel. Great service but demonstrates you probably should have checked the screen in-store at the point of collection.

4. PeteyV thread starter macrumors member

I do have warranty on it thru February 2014. The thing is when I originally took in the iMac for the yellow tint on the LCD they told me that they were doing it as a goodwill repair because the screen was yellowed due to humidity. I thought that was kind of a BS answer and when I said that I have warranty on it they said it isn't actually covered under warranty. Also I noticed the dead pixel a week or two after because it is in somewhat an inconspicuous spot and I rarely have the screen on my iMac all white to actually notice it. The LCD itself isn't scratched its just the glass. I feel like im caught on the fence with this one and I hate lugging this huge machine into the apple store and them man handling it.

5. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

The whole screen issue, wether it's yellow or sufferes from the black smudges being down to humidity really is a prime example of Apple BS.

6. Lampmeister macrumors member

Something like that would drive me insane, and if it were me I'd definitely have it looked at.