Should I Take The Box?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RosieKins, Jul 31, 2008.

?

Take the box?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. RosieKins macrumors newbie

Hii :)

An AppleCare lady has booked me an appointment to pick up a replacement MacBook; but I was wondering - would I take the box too? I asked the lady but she mumbled something about how I could do my own recycling :confused:

I mean, to carry a box around is a little silly and if they only want the computer - AND then i'll have two boxes to carry :eek:

best,
    ROSIE.

2. garyd9 macrumors member

Be paranoid and take the box...

Which situation is least preferable:

You take the box and they won't take it.. AND give you another box...

or

You don't take the box and they suddenly demand it in order to give you a replacement...

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Can't you just call AppleCare or where ever you are picking up the new MacBook to see if they want the box?

BTW, good luck with your new MacBook.

4. CleverUsername macrumors member

I'm afraid I don't have much input for you, as all my exchanges have been via FedEx and involved packing the computer back into the original box. Are you supposed to bring all your cables with you also? I would almost say pack everything back into the box, if for no other reason than ease of transport.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Last time I checked you need to bring the box, manuals, disks, accessories, etc.

Maybe it's different now, but I would bring it.

6. RosieKins thread starter macrumors newbie

I will then take the box :)

The MacBook is over a year old and had multiple logic board failures... however, some of the original stuff that came with it I can't locate (Apple remote, polystyrene, etc.).

I have also been advised that some of my recent and important folders will be transferred by removing the hard drive into an enclosure. Hopefully that won't take too much time and will be free of charge :cool:

Thanks guys

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If they are giving you a replacement then yes you will need the box. That way they don't have to dig up your receipt and they can do the swap more easily.

Just a FYI, since you are getting replacement you can also get the iPod if you're a student--you can get another "free" printer as well on the same receipt; it's as if you're buying a new computer. you can even not open the box and return the computer for store credit and buy something else. ;)

If you have AppleCare you will need to call them and ask for a refund and rebuy AppleCare--can't transfer.

8. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

The smart thing to do would be to take the box, manuals, accessories, and everything else that came with it with you to the Apple store. Also take the receipt.

I doubt the will freak out if you don't have a cloth or an Apple remote with you. (You could always just buy them at the Apple store and give them to them... you'll get them back if they give you a whole new package.)

I hate to say it, but.... better to be safe than sorry.