Should I take the plunge and make a purchase?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eggtastic, May 8, 2010.

1. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

I have just graduated college and a late 06 MBP 2.16 ghz, 120g hd, 2 gig ram have served me well through my studies. I recently had to replace the super drive and battery, and it has slowed down a bit from use.

For my needs, i just do a lot of web browsing, word processing, and movie/video watching, might edit my family movies from back in the day to put them on dvd.

Should I sell my old 06 mbp and buy the new mbp? In other words would i appreciate the upgrade?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You'd notice the difference if you did the DVD editing, but as for the rest there won't be much difference.

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Sounds like you do a lot of the same things I do with mine. I think the only difference between your MBP and Mine would be lack of Core 2 Duo in your 06 model. For a year, I had the original 1.86GHz CoreDuo MacBook Pro and then sold it for my 2.16GHz Core 2 model that I still have today. I thought there was a pretty noticeable speed difference between the two and never regretted upgrading. That said, I got a lot more money for mine than you will for yours since it was only a year old at the time. I also opted to get the refurbished model to narrow the price gap. If you can get a decent sum for your existing model, then I'd say go for it. Its served you well for 4 years, why not upgrade?

4. Mac.Gruber macrumors newbie

A regular Macbook should suit your needs just fine; no need to spend the extra $$ unless you have a need that requires the extra juice. You might consider holding off for now; at least see what the upcoming Macbooks offer (there should be a refresh coming in the next month or 2) and make your decision based on that.

5. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

i guess you mean the white plastic MB that will be refreshed, right? although probably not that fast and not before fall i would wager. And then the white MB will probably be pulled up on par with the current MBP13 minus the aluminium, firewire and backlit keyboard but still with the C2D and the 320M

No chance in hell there will be a MBP refresh anytime near the period you are indicating. maybe ... just maybe around the holiday season, but i would guess more like early 2011.

stefan

6. Mac.Gruber macrumors newbie

I meant the regular Macbook, not the Pro.

7. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

Try posting in the regular Macbook's forum.