Should I take this deal on an open-box 13" rMBP?!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by .realest, May 8, 2014.

1. .realest macrumors newbie

I need your guys' advice: I went to Best Buy today to see what kind of open box 13" rMBPs they had. Unfortunately, they didn't have any 8/256, but they did have an 8/512. The rep told me he'd sell it for about $1540 (down from the sale price of $1710). I was skeptical at first, but he let me boot it up and I checked its battery cycle count and it was only at 3! It has no obvious scratches, but it does have an extremely minor dent on the base.

With the student discount, I can bring this to about $1390, about $100 more than a NEW 8/256 rMBP ($1275).

What do you guys think?! I might go back in tomorrow and pick it. I just didn't want to impulse buy.

2. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Open-box doesn't typically allow the student discount to be applied. If you can get the student discount applied, I would go for it as long as you would really benefit from it. The 512 GB hard drive will be faster than the 256GB drive. 1390$ isn't an amazing price, but it is pretty good. If you don't need it, it probably won't be worth it, but it will have a better resale value. It is the 2013 model right?

Matt

3. .realest thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback. It is the October 2013 model. And yeah, I might give a couple of Best Buys in the area a call to see if any of them have an 8/256 in stock. I don't think I'll NEED 512 to be honest, so if I can find something in a similar condition as the one I just bought, I may return the 512, and buy a 256.