Should i take this risk?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Alag28, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Alag28 macrumors 6502

2. Bauer24 macrumors regular

I'd do it. For $400 bucks and some elbow grease, that's a steal.

Getting to the Apple logo is a good thing in terms of the other hardware in my experience - at least you know the screen, RAM, CPU, etc seems fine (probably). It could be just some drive corruption.

3. Alag28 thread starter macrumors 6502

yea i feel the same way...off to buy it ill post in a little bit with the results

4. Alag28 thread starter macrumors 6502

so i just bought it, the condition overall is 7.5/10 just because its close to 5 years old...everything worked however. i was pleased....so the problem was that after the hitting the power button it would chime, apple logo would appear, the spinning wheel appeared but then it would STOP it froze...i took it to the apple store he ran some tests everything checked out fine except for some sort of corruption on the HDD (understandable) he tried a series of key holding diagnostics and NOTHING...he told me i had to switch out the hdd it was faulty. lol i took it home i referred to the guides above and i fixed it...it was weird i boot it into safe mode went into disk utilities and repaired disk permissions. viola fixed...my risk was a reward.

5. Bauer24 macrumors regular

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Good for you! Saved yourself a nice $300-350. You could probably sell it for double what you paid, especially with the new batt.

If you want to keep it though, I'd swap out the HDD for an SSD. You'll breathe new life into the machine and it will feel much newer.