Should I TimeMachine or clean install for new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dmk1974, Nov 7, 2010.

1. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I just got a new 2010 i5 MBP which is replacing a mid-2009 C2D MBP. I had done a TimeMachine backup on the old MBP and was wondering if for the new one, should I do a clean install or is it safe to just restore from the 2009's TM backup when I go through the initial setup?

I'd prefer to do the latter, but is there any downside or issues that I'll encounter when migrating that way from the old machine to the new one? Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Unless you're having issues on your older Mac, just go ahead and use TM, that's what it is for.

3. acurafan macrumors 6502a

i just got my i5 yesterday too! ;) i ran a clean install and copied my files back, didn't want to bring over any legacy crap from my 2008 whitebook (if any).

4. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

So, in your case, can you copy select files back of your choice from a TM backup after you do the fresh install? I'm just not clear how TM works. On my Windows PC's, with some programs, it was a complete restore (all or nothing). But with TM, can I pick just the "Documents" folder from the old MBP if I wanted to without the "Photos" and other folders?

5. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

I'd do a clean install, (make sure you have everything you need) and once you have all the software and files in place, use TimeMachine once then turn it off. That way you can always get back to a clean Mac with all the software and files you want. Of course you will have to get any of the new files and applications you may have. :apple:

6. acurafan macrumors 6502a

i didn't use time machine. i pulled then put my whitebook drive in an enclosure, connected and copied the data back; and from my dropbox account.

you can still use TM to restore to the new mbp, i've done it, but make sure all your apps do support osx 10.6.4 (if you're from 10.5 or older).

7. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Thanks. I guess I'm still not clear though...if I do a "fresh" install, can I still copy over select folders from my TM backup of my old MBP that is currently residing on an external hard drive? These would be my file folders like "Documents", but not everything else. I just haven't found if TM restore lets me do that or not.

8. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

yes using migration assistant i believe