Should I trade 15" MacBookPro4,1 for 17" MacBookPro3,1 or MacBookPro4,1?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by p.luik, May 31, 2009.

  1. p.luik macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2008
    Location:
    Faribault, MN
    #1
    About 6 months ago, I bought a refurbished MacBook Pro 2.4 15-Inch (Early 2008/Penryn) from Apple for around $1300. ifixit.com will give me $1250 cash for the computer now.

    I am considering buying a 17" MacBook Pro with at least the same speed processor on craigslist or ebay. I like the fact of the larger screen, and portability is not much a factor for me. This would be the main purpose for the upgrade. I am a college student with a Mac Pro as well, so the summer would be a great time to take advantage of this since I don't need a computer to class and I can use my Mac Pro for staying on the MR forums.

    I would like to know what you all think. If I can make the upgrade without spending any money, should I upgrade? Should I only get the 17" Penryn model, or would the earlier Santa Rosa model be comparable to my current 15"? I wont get a uMBP; I already downgraded to my current 15" from a uMBP because of the glossy screens. Thanks for all advice!
     
  2. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2009
    #2
    sell it. it has an 8600 which is defective i also like the 17 inch macbook pros so if i were you i would sell it
     
  3. p.luik thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2008
    Location:
    Faribault, MN
    #3
    Both 17" models I am interested in have the GeForce 8600M GT. Is it only the 15" model that has the defective card?
     
  4. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2009
    #4
    o, i should have realized that, it seems that every mac sold with the 8600 is defective ill find you the thread that was here
     
  5. TSE macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Location:
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    #5
    Hi.

    Both the 17" and 15" MacBook Pros have defective 8600M GTs, but Apple extended the warranty on MacBook Pros to 3 years when it comes to graphics card issues, so you shouldn't base your decision on the graphics card at this point.

    It is up to you if you want the 17" or keep your 15". I personally would keep the 15" since you already have a Mac Pro and a 15" is more portable than the 17", not to mention it has a better battery life, and the speed difference is negligible.

    By the way, I am from the Twin Cities, and, where in the world is Faribault?
     
  6. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2009
    #6
  7. p.luik thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2008
    Location:
    Faribault, MN
    #7

Share This Page