Should I trade away my PowerBook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by airjuggernaut, Dec 17, 2008.

1. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

Recently I acquired a 1.67GHZ PowerBook G4 from the Macrumors marketplace.

It's a very nice machine, it's in good condition and it's chugging along perfectly.

Now the only thing is, lately I've had my eyes turn to netbooks.

I know, I know...it's not a mac, but the concept of a netbook is exactly the concept behind why i got the PowerBook. Cheap, portable internet machine.

While the PowerBook is nice, I kinda just like the alure of a NetBook. I also think it will be more useful in the long run, with it's Windows capability.

Also, for my computer sciecne class we use a windows proprietary Java IDE which doesn't have a Mac version, which is a downer considering I wanted to use my PB for programming..

Not to mention the PowerBook heats up like a demon playing any youtube video.

I really am considering trading away my PowerBook for any 10" NetBook, is this a bad idea?

Any reason why I shouldn't do it?

Oh and I already have an iMac, so this wouldn't be my main machine.

2. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Seriously, given the fact that you have an iMac and really need an internet machine and notebook for class, I'd go with the netbook in a heartbeat.

Not only would it be smaller, but I could bet that it would run a little faster if not smoother than the PB G4.

3. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I heard the MSI wind runs OS X pretty well. You could also run Ubuntu and use Mac4Lin and have a cool little faux mac. Get it to dual boot XP and you'll have a nice little setup.

I'm in a similar position as well. I have a 1.22 12" ibook and I'd love to get a netbook (it'd sadly be more powerful) but I don't use it a ton so I don't have a lot of reason to go through with a purchase.

Honestly, I'm pretty dissapointed that my 2004 ibook really doesn't have much horsepower at all. It can't even run high quality streams from hulu.

4. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

But I heard somewhere that the Intel Atom is as powerful as a G4 clocked at 1.2ghz?

Is that true?

5. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone else?

Seriously, I'm indecisive as hell, and I've got a buy lined up for the PowerBook.

Any mac voice of reason? Or is it blatantly obvious that the NetBook is the way?

6. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Yeah, atom processors are very slow compared to modern standards.
    Another idea - i'd say sell the G4 and go with a macbook if you can afford it... just me personally, i'd rather a full size keyboard and a larger screen - plus running mac osx native is an advantage.

7. mBurns macrumors 6502

I'd get rid of it if it's not what you like. I'd prefer a PB G4 over a NetBook. That being said, they cater to different needs and audiences. If you really needed a NetBook to begin with, you won't be happy with the G4.

8. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, the offer I have standing for it right now is $500.

Which is pretty good......I'm just completely torn.

The thing is, I only have computer science for one more month, then I'm done. I'm also doubting if I'm going to take the course again next year.....and honestly whatever computer's i have right now will be dumped for a new laptop when I'm off to University.

How much would a 1st gen MacBook run me?

9. Maxington macrumors 6502

I am biased towards apple and would prefer the PowerBook, but if your needs are more suited towards the netbook get it.

I just love the integration of having more than one mac at home.

10. mBurns macrumors 6502

Also, one other thing you may want to consider is that when Snow Leopard comes out and assuming it doesn't run PPC (as it seems right now), PPC machine prices are going to drop even more. I am guessing you could get a first to second gen MacBook in the $500-600 range. Just do some hunting around. Keep an eye out on your local CL.

Hope this helps.

11. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

I would get a MacBook.
    The itergration of two macs together is just so amazing. Best way would be to sell the PowerBook for around 500 on Craigslist, then get a MacBook off of eBay. I recently acquired a Black Macbook 1st gen with onecmore year of AppleCare and 2gigs of RAM for just 590 plus shipping. eBay has some amazing deals. Also , as another poster mentioned, when Snow Leopard coming out, the prices of PowerPC Macs will drop dramatically, so I would reccomend selling ASAP.
    David

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'd get the Lenovo S10 netbook. All the other ones are **** compared to that. YouTube videos play with no problems, no heat issues, no fans flaring. It's also business grade, so quality is not a concern.

13. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone!

I'm gonna go with the "Sell and get a MacBook" advice.

You guys are right on the money with the PPC prices dropping right after Snow Leopard. I'm selling it this Wednesday or Friday, just in time before the price sink :p

See this why I love forums. I never would've thought of this on my own :p

Thanks again!

14. mBurns macrumors 6502

Good choice! The only reason I still have a PPC machine in my stable is for my legacy software.

15. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

The wise words of Digital Skunk are right on as usual.

I'd recommend the same.

Seeing as you have a nice powerful iMac, a netbook is fine. The race to the bottom continues as netbooks get cheaper and cheaper. There's so much competition, too, so only the consumers like you benefit from this.

16. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

What?:confused:

17. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think he was talking about OS X running on NetBooks.

But...I do think OS X on NetBooks run natively...

18. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Not exactly. Not at all really.

It's never going to run perfectly on any non Apple computer. If you want a perfect mac experience, go with a macbook. Honestly, any macbook you got would be faster than a netbook and will probably last you longer. On the other hand, MSI Wind does have good compatibility, so there are few problems (I believe the wireless card needs to be replaced).

Like I said before though, you can still use Mac4Lin and get a kinda similar experience.

So, it's either spend ~$400 on a new netbook, or spend ~$600 for a refurbished macbook. Personally, it's a tough decision for me, which is why I'm sticking with my ibook since I don't use either enough to warrant the purchase :)

19. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I agree, with the OSX native thing. Running it on a Wind is touted as being very easy to do and possible, but for me I want it out of the box. But since I don't have any issues with running Windows or Linux I wouldn't bother with the hassle of soldering on a new wireless card.

20. ViM macrumors regular

^ it is ridiculously easy you don't even need to open up the wind since there are drivers for the wireless card. Basically it's as easy as upgrading to leopard on a powerbook. Everything works out of box besides headphone jack/mic out and internal mic and these are in the process of being solved.

Good choice in picking the macbook, when netbook's come out with nvidia ion things will really get interesting.