Should i trade in 6+ for 6s+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by YouGoGlenCocoa, Nov 27, 2015.

1. YouGoGlenCocoa macrumors member

Just looking for opinions! I got my 6+ nov 11, 2014 so technically i can trade it in to at&t and get the 6s+

I like my phone alot and am content with it and would like to keep it and finish the payments on it until the iPhone 7 comes out. My phone is in excellent shape but it gets very heavy usage. I am concerned about my home or power button going out over the next year, and my apple iphone batteries usually go downhill quick after 1 yr of use.

Would you keep the 6+ or trade it in for the 6s+ And not have to worry about the functionality of the phone over the next year?

Would be nice to pay this one off instead of giving a perfectly good phone back to at&t. (Usually buy them out after a year but not this year, i owe $299)

Any and all input is appreciated! Thanks for your time

2. hdthu macrumors member

I trade in my 6 for 6s. You should do that as well.

3. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to understand how this works... If you only owe $300, why not sell it for $400+ and get a new one, rather than giving it back?

C

4. James83448 macrumors regular

James83448

I sold my 3 month old 6 for the 6s, mainly for the improved camera. I am constantly travelling and want the best camera possible.

5. hdthu macrumors member

why did you get 6s instead of 6sp? 6sp has even better camera.

6. James83448 macrumors regular

James83448

7. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Since you like your phone and you are content with it, there really is no need to switch phones right away. Personally I'd save the money and wait for the 7.

8. YouGoGlenCocoa thread starter macrumors member

Surely appreciate all the replies!! Normally i do buy the phone out and then sell it, but it seemed like a month or so ago on ebay that 6+ iphones in amazing condition were only going for like around $350 with box and all and i was thinking after i pay $300 and ebay charges me seller fees it really wouldnt be worth my time.

To the person who travels alot... Excellent point you have!!

9. hdthu macrumors member

I sold my 6 for 6s because my 6 only had 16GB. Everyone has different reasons to buy a new phone. Buy it if you have extra cash, it's the holiday shopping season after all.

10. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The camera improvement is negligible at best.

11. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I would suggest doing what I did if convenient.

Visit your most local  store or Highstreet store with the iPhone model on display and compare your phone usage experience next to it.

As demo models are on wifi only I turned off Mobile Data on my iPhone 6 Plus and visited the same sites on both phones and played around with the settings and the same apps.

Apart from force touch I found very little to push me towards the new edition.

I left the shop still using my iPhone 6 Plus.

12. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I said from day one, its not worth the upgrade.

Egg on my face, its worth it I've just got mine love it :)

13. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The 6s Plus to me feels like the phone the 6 Plus should have been.

14. hdthu macrumors member

Playing a demo phone for a few minutes is not really helpful

15. James83448 macrumors regular

James83448

I should have said resolution rather than improvement then. I don't want to regret not having larger resolution photographs in 40 years time.

16. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Yes. I did (though my 6+ was free and clear) it primarily for the RAM upgrade. Aside from the iOS bug issues, it is well worth it. Personally after a year plus, I feel the 6+ had serious design issues.
    Just my opinion.

17. James83448 macrumors regular

James83448

Like what?

18. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Just a few (these affected me):
    • Camera would at times just stop working
    • Yellow / Blue screen
    • Cellular signal would fluctuate
    • Wonder on the GPU - it never did perform as well as it sould have
    • TouchID Home Button - didn't always register
    • Calls performed poorly in noisy areas
    • BT was hit/miss
    • Software that it should run flawlessly based on specs was meh at best while other times it ran great.

Sometimes I wonder if the quality control on the hardware was sub-par however after a year of using one, reading the forums to solve issues, several trips to the Genius Bar, the 6 Plus ended up being the worst one I have ever owned.

Either way, since jumping to the 6S+, aside from the iOS9 bugs, it has demonstrated far far fewer of the "hardware" issues I observed with my 6+.

19. James83448 macrumors regular

James83448

Oh wow, it does seem like you had a hard time with your 6+. I had none of your aforementioned problems with my 6, luckily.

20. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Thing to remember is that the 6+ was the initial foray by Apple into phablets. Each generation will get better.

21. lordofthereef, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I see them going on eBay for around $400. Take 10% off of that in feed and your'e looking at about $60 "profit" before shipping. Let's call it $50.

a $50 conveneince fee for walking into a shop, dropping your old phone off, and grabbing a new one isn't bad at all. You're also avoiding any potential issues with an online sale. I used to buy out my phones and sell them because there was always easily $150 to be made. The market is so damn flooded that I find it's not really all that worth it. I saved more than $50 per month by switching to TMO. For me, that was the smarter move. I will, however, end up buyin out one of my phones this year because TMO paid off 50% of MSRP by way of bill credits since they messed up with charging my credit card when it shipped and that was their option for sresolving the issue.