Should I trade-in iPad Air

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by diablo2man, Apr 23, 2015.

1. diablo2man macrumors newbie

Ordered rMB and think about trade-in iPad air to get some extra cash. I have iphone 6 plus so I usually use that to watch video in situation require extreme portability. I also play most games on ps vita. I can't think about an scenario to use ipad after rMB.

What do you guys think?

2. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

one is a touch screen with no keyboard. other one is a computer. not sure why people are thinking the iPad doesn't need to exist after this rMB came out

3. diablo2man thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you give me a scenario that I may use iPad instead of iphone/rMB? I'm just talking about my personal usage so it has nothing to do with general public or whether ipad product should exist.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

Since you specified your own specific usage then it would be impossible for someone to give you a scenario as no one here knows how use use your computer.

5. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Hard to say since we don't know your personal usage. In bed? On the pot? On the couch? I tend to use my laptop only on hard flat surfaces (desk, table, fold down shelves on trains/planes) so in all scenarios where I don't have that I personally prefer the iPad. But that is me.

Also unlike me, you don't game much on it, and use your 6+ for media consumption, so when you put it that way, maybe in your own personal case, you won't end up using it much?

6. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

i don't know your personal use. But one is a computer and one is an iPad. I personally don't see much difference from a 11inch MBA to a 12inch rMB...so not sure why people are acting like the iPad needs to go away now. Sure it has a nicer screen and is thinner....but the keyboard can't be removed. it's still a laptop! like for me...i have an ipad mini 2 and a ipad air 2, both of which i can hold with one hand and read or look online etc. If i got rid of these...i would be carrying a laptop with me regardless if it was a rMB or a MBA etc. be different if the rMB was like a surface pro 3 or something.

When i'm in bed or in the recliner...i don't want a laptop. I wanna hold my ipad and look online. when I need a full keyboard to type long things I have my laptop. but 90% of things for me...doesn't require a lot of typing so iPad's work great. I have my laptop for files and lots of typing etc.

7. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

Toilet time.

The iPhone is too small and you'll drop the rMB.

8. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I stream video while in bed with the iPad. I also play games and use apps on the iPad. I do not stream video on my iPhone nor do I play games or use many apps on my iPhone.

On another note, it's really up to you if you want to keep the iPad or not. If you really need to ask others to tell you...then I don't know what to say. Why not use the three devices and see if you use your iPad much. If not sell it. It's all up to you not others.

9. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

Actually the retina macbook is great for on the pot. Although the iPad is more comfortable.

10. ZipZap macrumors 601

I dont see any reason to keep the iPad if you have a rMB. You have more flexibility with the laptop. The size is about the same.

Think about it. First things most people do with iPad... Get a case and buy a Bluetooth keyboard.

Put a touch screen in the rMB and iPad is dead.

11. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Well it's good you are not intransigent about selling your iPad. I know people who need a new device, or would be better off trading their current model, but they are intransigent about it and it's annoying.

Anyway, I would trade it in for sure. The extra cash would be awesome.

12. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Personally I prefer reading PDFs on a slate device. My iPhone 6+ is too small to display the tech manuals I read so I use an iPad for those. Other than that... I don't use my iPad often which is why I bought a cheaper Mini 3 (mid level storage, no cellular modem) this time.

13. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

I sold mine. I have no use for it anymore after the rmb came out. I like using it in bed more since I can multitask on it. Can't really do that on an iPad. It's a pain in the ass. If anything. I can just use my iPhone 6 plus instead of the iPad. Since you also have an iPhone 6 plus. There's no point in having an iPad. It's redundant.

14. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Because it's repetitive.

iPhone does all the same stuff and is way more portable. rMB does way more and isn't that much less portable.

15. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

Ill be keeping my air for occasional use with duet or as a second iOS device. I do not however think ill be upgrading iPads anymore. The macbook is amazing for on the couch browsing or other things. I actually like macbook better than iPad except for in bed. Having to hold up iPad or even six plus puts undue strain on the wrist and as a pianist that is something i need to avoid.

16. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

I have the 12" MacBook and an iPad Air 2. I've been going back and forth between them for the past week in an effort to understand the overlap in capabilities.

Both can do Mail, Safari, Text notes, Messages. Typing is faster on the MacBook unless you cheat like I do with a Logitech Backlit Bluetooth Keyboard (K811).
    Both can do Calendar, Address Book, Maps, FaceTime, iMovie, Garageband, Pages, Numbers, Keynote. (I prefer to use iMovie, Pages, Keynote, and Numbers on the MacBook, though.)

My wife prefers the iPad for books and magazines, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, streaming of Movies and TV Episodes though you can do those things on the MacBook. I prefer Facebook and Twitter on the MacBook but agree with her other preferences.

The iPad plays games in ways that are not possible on the MacBook. One of my favorites is Real Racing 3. You use the iPad as your steering wheel and touch the screen to slow down in the corners. Ditto for games like AirSupremacy and Zombie Smash HD.

I like to sketch on the iPad with a stylus using various art apps.

The MacBook displays multiple apps in side-by-side or overlapping windows. The iPad can't do that. With 512G of flash storage, the MacBook can store more than the iPad's 128G flash storage.

I would not want to choose one or the other. I am blessed to have both.

17. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I'm wondering if developers will start making games that use the new trackpad. Hmm...