Should I trade in my 2.4 MB for MBP? Poll

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by clyde2801, Nov 7, 2008.

?

Trade in 2.4 MB for 2.4 MBP?

Poll closed Nov 9, 2008.
  1. Nah, the MB's fine for your uses. Save your money.

23 vote(s)
    29.9%
  2. The MB screen stinks! Trade it in!

16 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. The MBP will be a better value over time.

23 vote(s)
    29.9%
  4. Silly consumer, pro's are for pros!

15 vote(s)
    19.5%
  1. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Got a replacement MB almost a week ago. Still have minor quibbles about the display viewing angle. Calibration and color profile found on this thread helped. I'm hearing so much complaining about the display, and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and pay the upcharge (plus the restocking fee) for the entry level MBP.

I'm using if for fairly mundane stuff, browsing, word processing, iPhoto, etc., and like the size of the MB, but I can't help but wonder if the MBP will be better over the long run.

If you've traded in your MB for a MBP, I'd especially like to hear from you.

Thanks.

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

let's put it this way: if the better screen is worth 1lb of heft then get the Pro.

btw the 4th choice was irresistable :D

3. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I just want to say, if you do decide to upgrade, don't pay the restocking fee. Make an appointment with a genius, tell them you're not thrilled with the screen and want to upgrade without the restocking fee. They will nearly always do it, and happily.

4. Apple addict macrumors member

I shared the same issues as you and.....

Returned the MB (I could not live with the veiwing angle and washed out screen)and upgreded to the MBP entry level model. Much better screen on the MBP, a pound heavier but worth it to me. I am also finding I like the extra screen real estate as well.

I agree with the suggestion of "Queen of Spades". Work with the Genius and explain your issue and go for the upgrade path.

Wish you luck on what ever you decide.

Gary

5. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

buy an external screen for $300-500 for at home and a exterant keyboard. i guess you don't do too much photo work on the go.

6. polaris20 macrumors 68020

I personally didn't see the issue with the MB's screen; at least not the multiple specimens at the local Apple store. I personally don't think I'll do an MBP again; I like it, don't get me wrong. But I think I would have preferred the smaller MB.

7. mrsimes macrumors newbie

Probably going to return and upgrade

I bought the 2.4 MacBook as my first ever Apple product and I'm bitterly disappointed.

A friend of mine had the previous generation MacBookPro and I was so impressed with the screen, it brought the whole range of Macbooks to my attention. This was just a few weeks before I heard they were about to launch the new range.

I waited excitedly and went into our local reseller (we don't have an actual Apple store anywhere nearby) the day after launch. I was mainly interested in the display quality. The Macbook and Macbook Pro were side by side. I immediately noticed that the MB looked washed out in comparison to the MBP and also that the fonts looked sharper on the MBP. I spoke to one of the assistants about this and he assured me the panels were identical (apart from size) and that the washed out colours I could see were due to reflection from the window opposite. We couldn't move the laptops as they were locked down.

Well, I took this as reliable information and came home to mull it over and ended up ordering direct from Apple online as the 13 inch MB, I felt was a nicer size.

The MB arrived last week and wow what a nice piece of engineering, physically perfect, lovely feel, quiet, but OH! what a disappointment when turning it on. The screen really is shocking. I've (fortunately) got no dead pixels but on blacks, the bottom 3rd of the screen is always grey and just looks crap. It's really not what I would expect on a laptop of this value. Why would they spend so much time designing such a beautiful machine and then put a rubbish display in it? I don't understand their logic!? It's not punchy, it's washed out. I've tried the colour calibrations and JC's profile does improve the situation but there's still very little saturation and doesn't really help the grey blacks an awful lot.

So I also plan to send mine back and spend another £250 on upgrading to the MBP. It's sickening as I don't need the two gfx cards, the firewire, I don't even want a bigger laptop, the 13" is perfect, but the screen is a major component(!) and it just sucks - big time!

A few questions -
    Is the MBP just as quiet
    Is the MBP just as cool (temperature)
    Will they charge me a restocking fee to upgrade?

Si

8. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I can tell you from my brief moment with it, the Mac Book Pro is louder and MUCH hotter if you use the 9600GT and stress it like play a game.
    Before you ditch the Mac Book, why not try some of the screen calibrations that are on here? Or have a go at calibrating it yourself?

To the OP, I voted for you to keep it as for your needs the MB Pro is overkill. If you want to travel a lot with the computer then you'll appreciate the smaller and lighter design also.

9. clyde2801 thread starter macrumors 601

clyde2801

Oh yeah, one other thing

My danged cursor keep jumping around when I've got the MB hooked up to a external screen and mouse-any suggestions?

10. ninja10 macrumors newbie

i bought the new MBP and i'm not a pro user. at first i ordered the MB and it was on backorder for 3 days. i kept looking at apple website and reading about the new MB and MBP and decide to change my order to the entry level MBP because of the bigger screen. never looked back since then. love my new MBP. it's also my first Mac ever and love it. i would never go back to windows again. if you can afford the extra cash, i would upgrade to the MBP.

11. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I bought the MacBook 2.4 the day after they were announced. At first I was all geeked up about it, most likely due to it being a brand new Apple product that no one else had. Several days went by and I began to realize how crappy the screen was. I really can't believe Apple did not use the MacBook Air screen in the new MacBooks. With a $1599 price tag, it's total non-sense.

I called the Apple store where I bought it from and spoke with the manager. I expressed my frustration and told her I wished to upgrade to the Pro. She had no problem with waiving the restocking fee, as she shouldn't, seeing how I was paying more money to buy yet another Apple product.

The MacBook is inferior to the MacBook Pro. Hands down. There's absolutely no question about it. Spend the extra $400 and be done with it.

12. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

You pay for what you get.

MBP costs more but you get better quality. Simple :D

13. Mercellus macrumors regular

For the uses that you have described in your post, I would recommend sticking with the MacBook and saving the extra money or using it towards purchasing software for your Mac.

The only reasons I can think of that would require a jump to the MacBook Pro is the discrete GeForce 9600M GT graphics card, the 1440x900 screen resolution, and the ability to use FireWire. If none of those really matter to you, then I wouldn't even consider an upgrade.

14. mrsimes macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. Seems like a mixed bag and I know I *should* just learn to live with it, but I just know it's going to niggle at me every time I use it, so I have pretty much decided to spend the extra and upgrade.

Is anyone able to answer my original queries though?
    Is the MBP as quiet as the MB?
    Does it run to the same temperature when not under intense load?
    Are Apple online likely to charge me restocking for upgrading?

Thanks,

S

15. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

You heard so much complaining about the screen, but are you happy with it? I have read the complaints and I am VERY happy with it despite what people say.
    I say save you're money, if it was 200.00 more I would say go for it, but 400 is a bit much just because people on here are complaining about the screen. The people on here complaining about it are not paying for your MBP.
    I was going to get a MBP, but I love the size and weight of the MB.
    I also see oyu have a 20 inch Imac, that could do your photoshop very easily I bet. I say just keep what you have, you seem over all happy with it and I bet most people on here would be very happy with what they by if they didn't read all the complaints.

16. Trivial rock macrumors regular

Trivial rock

The new MBP is exreamly quiet, not heard the new MB but is significantly quieter than the previous MBs and MBPs.

The MBP is also much cooler than previous MBs and MBPs (sorry I keep refering to these, I have owned and used these extensivley I have not with the new MB).

In personal experience it is much better to actually speak to someone, if you call apple up that may be better than online, thats if you cant get to a genius, I think a genius would be a best bet to save a few $

17. iaymnu macrumors 6502

I have a 2.33 MBP and a white MB & Alu MB. The size of the Alu MB is what made me purchase another.

18. clyde2801 thread starter macrumors 601

clyde2801

Oh, and now this...

Now the cursor jumps when I attach an external lcd to the MB using display port to DVI connection. Playing FPS on it is like having your character faint erratically, the room spins around uncontrollably, and you find yourself looking up without cause while the bad guys pour rounds into you.

19. clyde2801 thread starter macrumors 601

clyde2801

polls closed early

Said to heck with it and exchanged my MB for the MBP. No regrets (even for the added price or for the restocking fee that the hairy beaded troll at the OKC applestore charged me) at the upgrade. The pro is flawless and fastastic. Screen is hands down above the MB. 9C84. Apparently LG puts a little more pride into their larger LCD's.

No slanted keys, no hardware issue, no scrapes, dents, nothing.

When I think about the time I wasted driving to the Applestore to exchange the MBs, the time waiting in line, the time sitting on the stools, I would have been money ahead to get the pro.

You'd think the same people putting together two slightly different machines would result in indentical results, but it doesn't. Like others have inferred on this thread, apple apparently puts its full time and attention into the pros.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I would have voted but there was not choice for, why the hell do you care what a bunch of random people on the Internet think? If you want it, get it.

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Anything else you need us to hold your hand on?

You've seen the MBP, if you want what it offers then upgrade.

22. clyde2801 thread starter macrumors 601

clyde2801

see last post

Went ahead and did so. Do you always go on the forum and insult people? Troll much?

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If you think that's an insult you live a very sheltered life. You also don't have a full grasp on what trolling is.

Congrats on the MBP.

24. clyde2801 thread starter macrumors 601

clyde2801

Thanks, I'm loving it. And for YOUR information, I DON'T lead a very sheltered life; my mother tells me that every day....:D