Should I trade my C2D MacBook for a CD iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by speedygonz, Apr 23, 2008.

1. speedygonz macrumors newbie

Hi, I currently own a low end Core 2 Duo MacBook. However, I've just completed college and no longer require the portability of a MacBook. Therefore I'm considering an offer to trade it for a 20" Core Duo iMac with dedicated graphics card (x1600), superdrive and larger hard drive.

MacBook Specs (first one on the left)
    http://support.apple.com/specs/macbook/macbook_mid_2007.html

iMac Specs (the 20" model)
    http://support.apple.com/specs/imac/iMac_Early_2006.html

I'm unsure whether I should accept the offer since the warranty for this iMac has already expired while the warranty for my MacBook runs for another 4 months (and also the option of extending it via applecare). In addition, I'm worried that the Core Duo processor would perform considerably worse than the Core 2 Duo, given the same clock speed at 2.0ghz. Are my concerns justified?

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

No applecare?

No warranty on the iMac? That's what I would have a concern with: if the LB goes out on the iMac, you're looking at almost roughly the cost of a new machine. I'd make doubly sure that I extended it on your macbook.

Personally, I'd either sell the macbook on ebay or craigslist and buy a newer imac on the refurb store, ebay or craigslist, or buy a 22" lcd and span it to the macbook (after I bought applecare for it on ebay or craigslist).

Would you tell a major difference between cd and c2d? For most uses, probably not. However the C-D only takes 2 gigs of ram at most, making parallels excruciating to use.

Good luck with your decision.

3. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

No. Core Duos are noticeably slower than C2Ds. If you do any video encoding or processor intensive tasks then NO.