Should I trade my MBP for a MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AmericanDreamer, Aug 18, 2011.

1. AmericanDreamer macrumors newbie

Greetings everyone,

I have a question that I am sure that a lot people have asked themselves lately.

I currently have a 15'' MBP i7 Quad Core processor. I primarily use the computer to run GNS3, which is a pretty CPU intensive emulation program used to emulate Cisco Routers, checking email, surfing the web, and listening to music.

Even though my MBP is fairly new, I travel a good bit and a little computer would be awesome.

My question is, is the 15'' MBP Quad Core i7 that much powerful than a 13'' i7MBA and will the MBA be able to handle a cpu intensive program such as GNS3?

If so, I am going to sell my 15'' and get a 13'' MBA today!

Thanks for any insight on this!

2. PedroFerreira macrumors newbie

Hi! Even tough you travel a lot, I always recommend people to buy MBP, just buy MBA if extremely needed. My advice to you is to buy MBP 13", you'll feel a lot of differences from MBP 15". But if you really travel a lot, then, buy MBA 13". :D

3. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Flip a coin.

I'm kidding! It really depends man.. I would recommend looking at both the 13" Air and MBP.

The key points for getting the Air is the better screen resolution and the portability. If you travel a lot, the weight of the Air will make a huge difference.

4. AmericanDreamer thread starter macrumors newbie

5. nyc4lifedt macrumors member

It's like going from Honda Accord V6 to Honda Civic.

I replaced 2010 MacBook Pro with this current update MacBook Air. You'd be surprised how well MacBook Air handles tasks. It ain't Quad-Core i7s, but SSD makes a huge difference (which, I must say I can't wait for it to be standard on MacBook Pros in the near future) For things that you use for, MacBook Air would be fine since you travel, too.

But if you run CPU intensive programs, it does push MacBook Air and it will overheat it quicker than MacBook Pro. And considering that MacBook Air comes with integrated graphics card, graphic intensive work/viewing will also push it.

6. randomrazr macrumors 65816

its pretty obvious the 15inch ahs more power

if u dont need power than downgrade to an air.

7. skasol macrumors 6502

Do what I am planning on doing. Buy the Air as a companion to your MacBook pro. I skipped on iPad because I knew I would rather invest the $600 on an Air. So I will be keeping my MacBook pro but also buying. 13" Air for when I travel as well.

Good luck.

8. randomrazr macrumors 65816

thts such a waste of money considering u can carry ur macbook pro around

9. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

They have more money than sense.

The 13" MBA is only 1.5lbs lighter than the 13" MBP. Both computers have the same footprint so I really don't get the argument that one is for travelling and one isn't.

Apple's marketing coined it an "ultraportable" so now, all other laptops cannot be moved from point A to point B because they're not "ultraportable".

This is why PC users mock us.