Should I trade my old iMac in for a new one ??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Nutcracker33, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Nutcracker33 macrumors newbie

Hi

I bought a late 2010 iMac (21.5 inch, basic i3 model, with 12gb ram) from a friend lasts last year, for 600

I love this thing, but recently I am looking into the new iMac and got the itch of trading mine in

So I got a quote for 600 from one of the store, which is pretty good consider what I paid for it

But my corncern is I need to dish out at least an extra 500 for extra ram and ssd

I have a Samsung 840 ssd wanting to put into the iMac

Should I just stick the ssd in my old iMac and use it till at least the end of the year ?

Or just trade it in ?

Thanks
    To,

2. flavr macrumors 6502

flavr

If there is nothing wrong with yours and you can do whatever you want with it why trade now? I suggest you try and save $100 a month for 12-15 months and get yourself a nice refurbished one on Apple's website 27inch at that time...

3. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

If I were in your shoes, there's no way I'd trade in for a new one. Of course, that depends on what you're using the machine for.

I have a 2010 21.5" with the 3.2 core i3. I put an SSD (salvaged from my old MBP) and an extra 4GB of RAM in it and it flies. The 1TB HD serves an an external Time Machine drive.

Personally I'm planning to get another 2 or 3 years out of my machine. I don't plan to upgrade until retina screens debut on the iMac.

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I totally agree with the earlier posts.

The answer to your query is simple. If you are quite satisfied with your present machine and it's performing well, why do you want to get a new one? Apart from being shiny and new and probably running a bit faster, whats the advantage? There isn't one!

Keep your money in your pocket! :)