Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
I currently have a 2010 MBP 13" BASE. Bought it in June and now I am thinking about the 15" because all I see on these type of message boards is how amazing they are.

I play some games, do a good amount of Photoshop, Garageband, Word/Excel, music, etc etc. Basically the 13" does all of that pretty nicely.

What I miss is being able to have enough screen real estate to type a document while watching the latest episode of a show via Hulu. (Resolution issue)

So I have a friend who is willing to buy my MBP 13" (mint condition) for $1000. That leaves me to cover the extra $529 (refurb and no tax). Should I do it?
I'm really after:

-Higher resolution
-Better graphics
-Better processor
-Somewhat future proof with the i5

Xenophon

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
New Delhi, India
Looks like you've already decided and posted here in the hope we'll validate your choice. Bottom line: switching is wasteful and except for the screen real estate I've not read a compelling argument.

As far as the real estate is concerned you could also keep your machine and buy an external monitor. That way you keep the versatility of a 13" laptop.

Give the guy who offers 1000 USD my number, I've got an iceberg on sale in Nevada ;)

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Looks like you've already decided and posted here in the hope we'll validate your choice. Bottom line: switching is wasteful and except for the screen real estate I've not read a compelling argument.

As far as the real estate is concerned you could also keep your machine and buy an external monitor. That way you keep the versatility of a 13" laptop.

Give the guy who offers 1000 USD my number, I've got an iceberg on sale in Nevada ;)

:p Thanks for bringing me back to reality. Got lost in the 15" daydream again. Must stop it haha. I just bought a plasma screen for my dorm room so I guess I can hook my MBP 13" up to it?

And was $1000 a fair price? I don't want to be jipping people off. The laptop is $1099 new. And I only used it for like 1 1/2 month(s). Not a single mark on it and babied to death.

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
:p Thanks for bringing me back to reality. Got lost in the 15" daydream again. Must stop it haha. I just bought a plasma screen for my dorm room so I guess I can hook my MBP 13" up to it?

And was $1000 a fair price? I don't want to be jipping people off. The laptop is $1099 new. And I only used it for like 1 1/2 month(s). Not a single mark on it and babied to death.

$1000 is fine.

Xenophon

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
New Delhi, India

Perhaps customs and prices are different in the US (I'm a European living in India). But in Europe, the second you take it out of the shop, it drops at least 20-25% in value.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Perhaps customs and prices are different in the US (I'm a European living in India). But in Europe, the second you take it out of the shop, it drops at least 20-25% in value.

:eek: Oh my...I checked eBay and the 2009 models are still going for $700-$800 at least!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.