Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macpropro80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Hey everyone, I have the 2008 mac pro 2.8ghz 8 core. I love having the latest and greatest technology, should I sell my Mac pro for the new one? Does apple offer a trade in program? I have about $1000 saved up, do you think I could get enough off my old one for a new 8 core?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Just for the sake of having the Latest and Greatest? NO.

If you have a specific need upgrading can solve, that's another story. ;)

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Just for the sake of having the Latest and Greatest? NO.

If you have a specific need upgrading can solve, that's another story. ;)

+1

The MacPro is a machine that is supposed to last years, not update cycles. The 2.8 is still a rock solid machine - unless you REALLY have to upgrade, I would recommend staying with the 2.8 Octo.

trancepriest

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
South Florida
Hey everyone, I have the 2008 mac pro 2.8ghz 8 core. I love having the latest and greatest technology, should I sell my Mac pro for the new one? Does apple offer a trade in program? I have about $1000 saved up, do you think I could get enough off my old one for a new 8 core?

Yeah sell it immediately. No Apple does not offer a trade in program. Yes to your last question. I should warn you though that you may have the latest but not the greatest. The greatest is an 8 core 2.93 which seemingly is out of your budget range.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Personally, I say keep what you have. Selling your system and shelling out an additional $1000 would get you a 2.26 Octa-core. The hassle and $1000 probably isn't worth it for the minor performance gains. But hey, if it's just to tell yourself you have the latest and greatest, why the hell not?

Macpropro80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Personally, I say keep what you have. Selling your system and shelling out an additional $1000 would get you a 2.26 Octa-core. The hassle and $1000 probably isn't worth it for the minor performance gains. But hey, if it's just to tell yourself you have the latest and greatest, why the hell not?

thanks, I think i will keep my 2008, Now to fix that damn random blue screen problem.....

hobes270

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
The mac pro is a machine made to not be upgraded frequently. I personally would probably keep it. Although if you want the latest technology, upgrade, you wont be loosing much money.

hobes270

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
How do you figure? :confused:

How do I figure that they aren't supposed to be upgraded frequently? Well they are one heck of a machine and they can handle anything you can throw at it. A machine like that does not need to be upgraded every time a new model comes out. If you did that, and are a normal "pro" user, then you will go broke.

I work for Apple, I notice the ONLY people that buy every single time a new mac pro comes out, are the MAJOR companies that don't sell there old equipment, they are just adding to it. For instance we sell to the NHL, they buy a new mac pro EVERY MONTH. But they arent selling old equipment, they are adding to it, whether its because they are hiring more people or whatever the reason may be.

To me, and to basically all of my co-workers, it is a little crazy to upgrade to the newest mac pro every time it comes out if you are the normal "pro" user. Now dont get me wrong, if you are the type that sells as soon or right before a new model comes out then buys the new model, by all means go right ahead, I just know most people dont do this with the mac pro, they are made to last.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
How do I figure that they aren't supposed to be upgraded frequently? Well they are one heck of a machine and they can handle anything you can throw at it. A machine like that does not need to be upgraded every time a new model comes out. If you did that, and are a normal "pro" user, then you will go broke.

I work for Apple, I notice the ONLY people that buy every single time a new mac pro comes out, are the MAJOR companies that don't sell there old equipment, they are just adding to it. For instance we sell to the NHL, they buy a new mac pro EVERY MONTH. But they arent selling old equipment, they are adding to it, whether its because they are hiring more people or whatever the reason may be.

To me, and to basically all of my co-workers, it is a little crazy to upgrade to the newest mac pro every time it comes out if you are the normal "pro" user. Now dont get me wrong, if you are the type that sells as soon or right before a new model comes out then buys the new model, by all means go right ahead, I just know most people dont do this with the mac pro, they are made to last.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. :eek:

I meant in financial terms. (I've tried to figure out what a 2.8 '08 would bring, given some members have found NEW ones for ~$1900 IIRC). Adding $1k, it wouldn't make a new Octo model. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.