Should I trust Apple's Repair on my rMBP???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by renosausage, Oct 17, 2012.

1. renosausage macrumors regular

I have noticed the Burn-In issue on my rMBP from the first day I used it.

It was not a huge issue for me and I decided to do nothing about it.

But, over the last few weeks this issue has gotten considerably worse, so I decided to give Apple a call and see what they could do.

Basically, I was told that I could bring my rMBP in for a repair to replace the display.

It sounds like a good idea, but can I really trust Apple in repairing my display?

I trust Apple and I believe they will do a good job, but has anyone had a similar experience?

My nearest Apple Store is 3 hours away, so if there is another option that I am not aware please let me know.

Thank You, This forum has helped me so much with Apple products. You guys are AWESOME! :D

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I would certainly trust Apple to do a good job in any repair work. I've never had a disappointing experience with Apple repairs.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Apple is the company that manufactured the laptop, of course you can trust them to repair it.

4. renosausage thread starter macrumors regular

Your right, I guess I was just wondering if anyone has ever had a bad experience with a repair.

I know the Burn-In issue seems to be a problem with some rMBPs and I was sure someone on this thread may have already went through this process.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If Apple, the original vendor, can't do this for you then who? :rolleyes:

Just to be on the safe side, take close up pictures of it from all angles, place a newspaper with date to prove date of pic taken, just in case careless tech give it a small dent, if u care about such things.

6. jedolley macrumors 68000

I trust Apple to appropriately support their own products, but 3hrs is way too far to drive to an Apple store especially for a defect like that. I would call Apple Care for other options. They may send you an advance replacement instead.

7. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

Wow, I guess you're really conflicted.

I would trust Apple to do the repair. Now, whether the replacement display is any better is a different issue. But, on the other hand, who else would you get to do the repair?

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

There are plenty of Apple authorized service providers out there. They use Apple parts and follow Apples procedures, but they're not employed by Apple.

9. foodle macrumors 6502

I would trust Apple over a 3rd party repair shop. Apple is going to have the newest service data, parts, and experience in repairing Mac.

I've had a screen on a MBA 11" replaced under Applecare warranty before with no problems. They called me when the part came in, they replaced it in a day, and I got a working laptop back (they even cleaned it). No problems. Very happy.

10. Jameson.Kusch macrumors newbie

I would trust apple with the repairs. I know why you may be a bit hesitant to trust apple as their are stories of users brining in their products to apple for repair and get it back in worse off condition. I would take photos of your laptop before brining it in, in case something goes wrong.

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Not questioning but you know this for sure?

I trust my Lexus dealer to follow Toyota's exact procedure, always place protective mat before commencing work, only use approved tools for the job, no substitution etc. The certified techs, literally go to Toyota "university" and learn every detail.

Apple does this with authorized repair shops?

12. foodle macrumors 6502

Also, remember to back up your data and change/null-out your passwords before bringing the laptop in. Otherwise you have to write your password on the service docs, which gives me an uneasy feeling.

13. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Keep in mind that things like that happen at 3rd party repair shops, too. You just don't hear about it as much because it's not Apple. Not saying that Apple is perfect, but I'd trust them to repair the computer.

14. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Backing up your data is a good idea, they always ask you if you do, although personally I don't worry about changing my password.

In terms of repair, the worst repair I've ever had, they forgot to connect the cable for the keyboard backlighting, so I had to go back in and it was a 5 minute fix, although on a cMBP. Otherwise, I've probably had around 10 repairs on various desktops and laptops and all of them have been perfect, if not better than I had anticipated.

15. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Of course "anyone has ever" -- that's a huge net you're casting. It's just a matter of odds. It's whether the bad experiences are a significant trend that matters.

16. JD92, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  17. renosausage thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Everyone, The best advice I got was to take pictures of my Macbook beside a Newspaper before I sending it off.

I also asked if another LG display would be replaced in the unit, they assured me that a display without the Burn-In issues would replace it.

I know I seem too picky about the situation, but this laptop costs me 2500 dollars!!! So I want to get all the advice I can get before making any decisions.

Even though it is Apple doing the work, I guess I still feel uneasy letting 2500 dollars be carried into that back room.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has ever had their screen replaced because of the Burn-In Issues.

18. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Just create a new guest account so the service tech can access the Mac. Problem solved in about thirty seconds.

I always encrypt sensitive data on my Macs. If you don't already do this, then I suggest doing it before turning over your computer to any repair shop where multiple people may have access or it can be stolen. A repair tech can get around the OS X account password very easily...

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you cannot trust apple to repair the very computer they made and sold, who could you trust to repair it :confused:

I'd not worry about it, and let them do the work :)

20. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Yes I'm sure.

http://solutionprofessionals.apple.com/aasp/

21. naz-dream-boys macrumors member

Apple warranty service is excellent, had my MacBook trackpad replaced when it developed a problem and also two iPhones replaced

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes I had an issue before with Apple repair. When I noticed it wasn't repaired, they immediately replaced it with a new updated product.

They have also replaced one of my computers with the wrong part which they rectified immediately.

Otherwise almost all the repairs have gone smoothly.

23. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

24. Bebel macrumors member

Yes, you should trust Apple to repair your rMBP.

25. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

What do you think will happen, they'll run off with it? Or that they won't repair it so you can come back in 15 minutes?