Should I trust this site?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iToaster, Aug 16, 2007.

1. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Looking for a canon HV20, I've got $776 to spend, I ran across this. Would you guys say it's legit, or scam?

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It has all the hallmarks of a scam.

Due to problems with fraud from credit cards and PayPal, they only accept Western Union and e-Gold. At least they're taking steps to make sure they're the only ones doing the defrauding. :rolleyes:

4. G5power macrumors 6502

It sure doesn't look like the site has been registered for very long.

Registrant:
    WhoisProtector Inc. (demideo.com)
    550 Burrard Street, Suite 200
    Vancouver, BC V6C 2B5
    Canada

Registrar: DomainPeople, Inc.

Domain Name: demideo.com
    Created on .............Fri Jun 08 08:29:02 2007
    Expires on .............Sun Jun 08 08:29:02 2008
    Record last updated on .Fri Jun 08 08:29:19 2007
    Status .................LOCK

How about the method of payment they accept:

What methods of payment are accepted? Why do you not accept Credit Cards or PayPal?
    Due to excessive loss caused by fraudulent use of credit cards and PayPal, We have temporarily stopped accepting those methods of payment.
    Therefore, at this time we are only accepting Western Union Wire Transfer and E-gold for new customers, and returning customers have an option to pay by direct Bank Transfer.

Also found this part interesting:
    Do you guarantee that no duty will be paid in the destination country?
    Yes, we do. Demideo will pay all applicable sales tax for you. There are absolutely no hidden fees on your order.

5. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Tell them you happen to be in Rome and want to pick it up in person.

Would love to see that reply.

6. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

Well if it is a scam they're doing it right. Located in one of the higher end buildings in downtown Vancouver. Googled their address and another internet based co. is based out of the same office, likely more. Have you tried the Better Business Bureau? THey might know a thing or two. cheers.

7. blueicedj macrumors 6502

I wouldn't trust it right off the bat...looks iffy to me and my website screener *tells me which sites are bad and which ones are good* hasn't ever ran tests on this site *which is rare*...so I'd be Wary.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

That's the address for DomainPeople, the registrar. Demideo has used WhoisProtector to hide their own identity.

Demideo claim to be located in Italy, registered in Gibralter, have their domain registered in Canada, and their phone number is in Connecticut. Right. :rolleyes:

9. Italchef macrumors 6502

You should check out the thread at the top of this page about fraudulent retailers. Even though its not a Mac site, it seems to have all the hallmarks of a scam. I always warn people that there are no deals on Macs and the same thing applies here; if this seems too good to be true, it isn't.

Mick

10. iToaster thread starter macrumors 68000

iToaster

Yep, I figured out it was a scam site, but I found something on eBay and bought it. Thanks again.

11. seahawk09 macrumors regular

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Here are some imagined corrections to those statements:

"Due to the fact that we don't qualify for a Visa merchant account and even Paypal won't touch us with a 10 foot pole, at this time we are only accepting non-revokable, non-stoppable and non-traceable payment methods where we get your money and no questions are asked."

"Yes we do, we have the power to suspend the Customs and Tax laws of your country and admit our products tax and duty free. Sure. Actually we can guarantee there will be no tax or duty because we will never send any goods. Simple."