Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Bought my iPhone 7 a year ago at launch. Battery life was never as good as Apple's own site specs suggest it should be. I would say at best I was getting 9 hours out of a charge, and sometimes I would wake up in the morning with the battery showing 92% despite charging all night. If I unplugged and replugged the phone it would continue charging to 100% though. It was just an odd behavior.

Now in recent months I feel like the battery has gotten noticeably worse. Most days I'd say I get about 7 hours of normal use. This is not even heavy use, like games. We're talking the usuals, texting, email, twitter, and some youtube.

Would Apple shoot me down a year later for a battery replacement?

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Apple is pretty generous when it comes to replacements so it’s definitely worth contacting them. I believe they have diagnostic software they can use to test the battery. If you’re unable to visit an Apple store I think they can run remote diagnostics.

Although, they may recommend just a fresh install of iOS to see if that clears up any issues.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Make an appt at the nearest Apple store.

They will run test on the battery and tell you if degradation is within the normal range. If it is, they won't replace the battery.

FunkyTang

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
If you have a Mac and the coconutBattery app you can check your iPhone battery out. It shows you the full charge capacity vs the design capacity and the number of charge cycles.

Here's mine...

hSlRb1k.jpg

Also the Lirum iOS app shows some of this data too depending on which is you're on.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
None of your battery tests will make a difference, only Apple can test if you want it to be diagnosed. Only they can determine if the battery is defective and replace if required.

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Thanks for the advice. Going to take it in soon.

Are they usually sticklers about the one year warranty? I’m just past the one year mark now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.