Should I Try to Exchange?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by evilpyro26, Feb 25, 2011.

1. evilpyro26 macrumors newbie

I bought a 15" MBP with the 2.8ghz i7 processor last month. Should I try to exchange this for a new MBP with the 2.3 i7 quadcore? I configured it on the apple site and it came to the exact same price that I paid after student discount, $2630. I feel like I bought an outdated computer, and that makes me upset:mad:. All advice is appreciated.

2. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

You can try but if you`ve gone past 14 days then you`re SOL.

3. ivodka macrumors newbie

i don't think items bought with a discont are liable to exchange

4. evilpyro26 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. lesyork macrumors member

6. evilpyro26 thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean am I really going to see that much of a performance boost? Or should I just be content with what I have?

7. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

I exchanged mine yesterday. The apple rep told me you have 30 days from purchase if a refresh is launched to exchange.

8. blai9735 macrumors newbie

A friend of mine returned an iPhone 4 that was clearly damaged by misuse. They(Apple Store) gave her another one, so who knows, anything is possible. She was very flirty with the guys at the Apple store, so that might help.
    I can't help but ask why any informed person would have bought a top of the line MacBook Pro so late in the release cycle. I can only assume that since you joined this site today, you were not informed. But now you are. Consider this an expensive lesson into the world of Apple and computing in general, especially laptop computing. It's not like the computer you have is a piece of junk. This is just a case of Moore's law being applied at a faster rate.

Lastly if you can't return it you can probably eBay it. But I would do it fast. You just need to find one person on the planet that doesn't know or can't tell the difference between last years MacBook and the new one.

9. evilpyro26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good news!!!!

After calling the Apple online store and explaining my situation they agreed to make an exception to the 14 day return policy and refund the money for my 2010 MBP! They waived the 10% restocking fee and said that the only thing I would have to pay for would be return shipping. Pretty Cool. I guess I'm going to return my 2010 MBP, wait for a refund, and then buy the 2011 MBP. I'll probably have to be MBP-less for a few days. Oh well, lesson learned.

10. darkeartg macrumors regular

trust me, it's worth it. It's a fire breathing dragon lol. The only bad thing is i noticed it's a bit louder, anybody else comment on this?? I think it might be my hdd i have the 750gb

11. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

Where were you during all the rumors? I think we were warning everyone for the past 2-3 months not to buy MBP's. I think you're out of luck though. You can try, but try. Pack your MBP up in the box, put everything back in it as if you were expecting for them to take it back. Go to the store and explain your situation and ask nicely if you could possibly speak to the store manager.

I did the same exact thing, got a 2008 late macbook and 30 days later the 2009 macs came out. They upped the specs, lowered the price, and changed the name. I was sick to my stomach. I eventually sold it a year later and redeemed myself by buying a 2010 15 inch MBP right when they were launched.

edit: I just read your latest post, congrats!

Also, 2012 MBP's will most likely be getting redesigns. You should be happy Apple really didn't change the physical design of the MBP, or else you'd really feel

12. Grouchy Bob macrumors regular

And folks wonder why Apple products cost so much.

I have a gutted G4 lying around here somewhere. Maybe if I whine and pout like so many uninformed impulse buyers here they'll swap it out?

Wish me luck!

13. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I see your name and location are true to form :rolleyes: Do you realize the markup on these products? Trust me, the prices would be the same either way, as long as people will pay the prices, they will stay at those prices.

To the OP, congratulations......you fail 100% of the times you don't try ;)