Should I try to return for one dead pixel?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by spiderman0616, Oct 21, 2010.

1. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I need some opinions. I'm on my second iPhone 4---I had to take the first one back because of WiFi problems and they gladly exchanged it. Problem solved.

A couple of days ago, I noticed my replacement iPhone 4 has a dead pixel. (It's black and only shows up on white screens.) It's near the edge of the screen and not in a spot I look at too much, but since I know it's there I always look for it.

I'm pretty sure if I took this one to the Apple store, they would replace it again, but here's the thing:

A) I really don't feel like going there and doing this all over again.
    B) I'll probably find something nitpicky about the THIRD one I get and will be tempted to try to exchange it.
    C) I could just wait until about 11 months into my warranty and exchange it then, essentially giving myself a free battery replacement and also fixing any other dead pixels that may come up between now and then.

What do you guys think? I think every color screen phone I've ever owned has had at least one dead pixel. It seems like a dumb reason to make a trip to the Apple store, but I'm torn.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I’d stick with it and if anything else goes wrong return it.

3. SidBala macrumors 6502a

4. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I think that's going to be how it has to go. I really don't want to go back to the Apple store because the one in my area is always a zoo, but I have an appointment for Saturday.

It's such an awesome display, and I can't stand having dust or dead pixels interfering with it, no matter how small. However, if I get a third new phone and IT has a dead pixel, I'm not going through this again. This will be my last shot at perfection. ;)

5. SA22C macrumors regular

Considering how much we will all pay for our iPhones once the purchase price and the plan is accounted for, I see no reason why anyone should settle for less than total satisfaction. If you aren't happy and Apple is willing to give you a replacement to make it right, you should take them up on the offer.

I got the display replaced in my 13inch MacBook Pro due to dust contamination and I couldn't be happier with the replacement screen. Once I knew the dust was there my eye was always drawn to it so it really wasn't something I wanted to live with. Similarly, if you have a dead pixel and you always notice it, return the phone.

6. logitechFan macrumors member

7. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I ended up taking it back--they were really cool about it, even though you could barely tell where the dead pixel was