Should I turn it on or install memory first?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by milesdavis, Mar 17, 2008.

1. milesdavis macrumors regular

milesdavis

New MBP and 4GB of memory I ordered from another vendor arrived today. Would you recommend I turn on the Mac and check it out first, or go ahead and load the 4GB of Ram first, before turning it on for the first time?

Thanks! MD

2. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

I know turning it on first and then installing it works, and I think the other way works too. I really don't think it matters though. If you go to system profiler, (apple menu, about this mac, more info) it will tell you the slots that are filled.

3. fanbrain macrumors 6502

fanbrain

Sometimes it's fun to wait. Turn it on and work with it a few days, then install the ram and see if you notice a difference. It makes the purchase feel justified and warranted. If you install it before actually using the machine, you may never know how much it is helping.

As the Audio Guru Gerry Lemay said [concerning all things audiophile] "if you have to sit around, drink wine and eat cheese to notice a difference; it's not worth it".

4. Quint macrumors member

If you install the memory first and there is a problem, you know if the problem is caused by the new ram or was pre-existing. Starting up first can help diagnose problems.