Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgo78

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
i use it everyday but i don't want to shutdown, is there any adv or disadv to shutting down or just let it sleep?

thanks

iemcj

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
Let it sleep. One of the biggest points of strain on a computer is when it shuts down and restarts, going from no current to LOTS of current instantly is not something it enjoys. Let it sleep my friend. Only turn it off if you're not going to be using it for like a week.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I leave my computer on as much as possible. Its much faster to resume work, plus you can pick up right where you left off. I don't think there are any negatives to leaving it on. Its designed to be used.

jgo78

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Let it sleep. One of the biggest points of strain on a computer is when it shuts down and restarts, going from no current to LOTS of current instantly is not something it enjoys. Let it sleep my friend. Only turn it off if you're not going to be using it for like a week.

that's what i was thinking as well, kinda like starting a cold car.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I never turn mine off. It goes to sleep when I am away from it. Only time I shut it down is if I am required to for an upgrade. Never had any problems due to it being on all the time.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
If you have an SSD HD especially, there would be little reason to turn it off and not just let it sleep.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You can always put your Mac to sleep manually. Just press Control-Eject, then press the letter S.
Or, Choose sleep from the Apple menu.

Brandon Ess

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2015
Huntsville, AL
You can always put your Mac to sleep manually. Just press Control-Eject, then press the letter S.
Or, Choose sleep from the Apple menu.

Yeah I get that, but is there a way to configure "If my Mac is idle for 30 minutes, go to sleep"? Because I don't see a setting anywhere to configure that.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah I get that, but is there a way to configure "If my Mac is idle for 30 minutes, go to sleep"? Because I don't see a setting anywhere to configure that.

That setting was removed for newer hardware. The computer will still sleep, but based on its own decisions and no longer the user.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
On the iMac, the Energy Saver preference pane has an option Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off. I would assume that when unchecked, the computer will sleep at the same time as the display - therefore the display sleep time is equivalent to the computer sleep time. This is different from my Mac mini, which has separate sliders for display and computer sleep.

I have not tested this because I keep my computer running 24/7, and therefore have the above option checked. Can anyone confirm that when unchecked, the computer sleeps at the same time as the display?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.