Should I turn off mbp before carrying around?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macgrl, Nov 7, 2008.

1. macgrl macrumors 65816

With my old toshiba laptop I would just close the lid which would hibernate it and then carry it around on my back to classes without turning it off. I believe that the only power options with a mac are sleep or off i.e. no hibernation option. Is is safe to just close the lid on my mac (which I believe makes it sleep) and then put it in my bag and carry it around? What does it do when it sleeps - does it use up battery power. I don't mind having to turn it off as it boots up super fast but was led to believe that turning on and off can harm the notebook. What is the best option as it needs to go from class to class during the day.

This is my first mac and I really, really don't want to cause it any harm :D

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Closing the lid makes your Mac go to sleep. It uses little power since most hardware will not be active. Go ahead and do this when moving your Macbook to and from classes.

Here's an article with more info:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2412

3. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

Moving it around while sleeping is fine.

Just be sure to make sure that your MBP is in fact sleeping before you put it in your bag. I've heard stories of how some people's computers weren't quite asleep yet, and they put them in their bags causing them to gravely overheat.

4. prosinader macrumors newbie

I almost never turn any of mine off. If the battery does drain below 10% while in sleep, it will do the Mac version of hibernate and turn its self off.

5. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Been there. Pretty scary experience, to be honest! Could have cooked an egg on the *top* of the case, let alone the bottom, and a big frig off 'Please turn me off, NOW!' message.

Not good!

6. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Yeah it will be fine.

Closing the macbook pro sends it to sleep.

I rarely turn my laptop off these days

7. macgrl thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you all very much for your replies. You have put my mind at rest regarding how to treat the mbp. I feel confident now that I will do it no harm!!:D

8. soms macrumors 6502

soms

I had that happen once but it was due to a widget that wasn't setup right on my end.
    Now I've learned to close the lid an wait until I see the pulsating light before I throw it in its case.

9. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

Like the others said, closing your mbp will put it to sleep, and will use no power. When it goes to sleep all data in the ram is written to the drive so that the laptop needs no power. Just make sure the power light is pulsing otherwise it is not fully sleeping and the drive is probably still moving.

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Just close the lid all the way down and check for the ambient white light that will shine from the front end. That ensures sleep mode.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

As mentioned, sleeping is fine. I think I've shut down my MBP maybe 10 times in two years :)

12. macgrl thread starter macrumors 65816

13. msheldrick macrumors regular

i remember leaving my MacBook on windows (mine doesn't sleep when closed on windows) in it's case for about 2 hours, i got a BSoD

14. aethernam macrumors newbie

I had the overheating while lid close problem with my brand new aluminium Macbook 13 in.

I hid it in my drawer (Im afraid of thieves!) and went out for a coffee with my wife. Once I was back, I could barely touch the air vent between my screen and keyboard.

I suspect Parallels for not being able to go to sleep since my system.log in my XP was showing activities. Will investigate further...