Should I turn off the MBP every night?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sandman512, Sep 20, 2013.

1. sandman512 macrumors member

We use our MBP daily in our house. At night,I just shut the cover, should I be powering it down? What is the best way ? Thanks!

2. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I don't shut it down completely for weeks at a time.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

I almost never shut it down completely. Only time I do is when traveling.

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I almost never shut mine down when at home. When traveling, I would just shut the cover and let it sleep. Now with an SSD, I'm more likely to shut it down if I won't use it for a couple of days so the battery doesn't get discharged.

5. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

at home I don't always shut it off at night only for traveling or going out for days. :apple:

6. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

I've never shut mine down, save for the time I replaced the RAM and swapped HDD/SSDs.

7. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

I shut it down when the computer feels a little slow. Which is like a weekly thing. Or else its sleeping or screen saver. Even when traveling on the plane.

8. zerrisk macrumors member

zerrisk

Might I ask why? This is a first I've seen people say to sleep it instead of shut down.

9. Daniel L macrumors 6502

What difference does the SSD make? It should not be draining at all while the computer sleeps.

10. leman macrumors 604

People have been recommending sleep over shutdown for years on these forums ;) Its the same for Windows 7 + laptops btw.

11. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

The reason is there is no reason not to just use sleep over shutdown. It is easier and faster--close the lid--open the lid--and no reason not to. :)

12. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

13. 95yjman macrumors member

95yjman

Mine's almost always sleeping when I'm not using it.. does make it a lot easier when I go to use it..

14. chabig macrumors 68040

Then it gets REALLY slow!

15. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

You need to hang around the forum more. ;)

Back in the old days of desktop systems (PCs, Sun workstation, etc.)it was recommended to leave the systems running (sleep). The argument was that it was less stressful on the internals. Powering on a system is stressful. They are designed to run. I have no references for this, but the owner/engineer at a software development company I used to be business manager for left me a sticky note the one time I turned off my machine.

16. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

My boot time dropped from 90 seconds to less than 15. I hated waiting for it to boot so I would suspend it. Now it boots so fast, I don't mind. Shutdown shows similar but not as impressive improvement too.

17. robvas macrumors 68020

You still have to re-open all your apps etc if you shutdown

18. takeshi74 macrumors 601

If you want to. There's no need to.

To shut it down? There really isn't a best. Any shutdown option will shut it down.

19. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

I dont usually don't ever shut mine off. I put it to sleep and leave it on the charger over night. I have had absolutely no issues.

20. jlgreer1 macrumors newbie

jlgreer1

// Back in the old days of desktop systems (PCs, Sun workstation, etc.)it was recommended to leave the systems running (sleep). The argument was that it was less stressful on the internals. Powering on a system is stressful.

Early personal computers used socketed integrated circuits (ICs), especially random access memory (RAM). The early parts generated a lot more heat than today's parts. The heating and cooling from starting and stopping would make the ICs creep or climb out of the sockets. The thermal stress was also an issue. As hard drives age, they sometimes fail to start back up properly after a shutdown. You see that sometimes on old internet servers that have been running awhile.

I don't think it is much of an issue today. Some administrators want computers on their network shutdown overnight to save electricity and the heat generated, others want them left on so they can send out updates at time when the system is little used.

Jeff