Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Should i turn off the U1 Chip or just keep it enabled? did you guys turn it off after the new iOS Update?

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
I’m leaving it on
Got it, Its not like i'll save battery life if i disable it right? i have most of the things disabled under "System Services" except Apple merchant, Compass calibration and motion and distance because i have an apple watch and care about step tracking and workouts,

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
Leaving it in as well. I have some others on so I don't think there's additional battery drain with leaving it on.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
Got it, Its not like i'll save battery life if i disable it right? i have most of the things disabled under "System Services" except Apple merchant, Compass calibration and motion and distance because i have an apple watch and care about step tracking and workouts,
I don’t think you will save any battery , but for me, it’s just not something that I’m concerned about from a privacy perspective

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
I have an iPhone 7 and I’m wondering what the benefit of turning this on or off will have? When I go to switch it off is says it may affect WiFi and Bluetooth performance. What?

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I have an iPhone 7 and I’m wondering what the benefit of turning this on or off will have? When I go to switch it off is says it may affect WiFi and Bluetooth performance. What?

the iPhone 7 dos not have the U1 chip. Only the new iPhone 11 models dos

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
There’s no point in turning it off, unless you have enabled NO applications enabled to collect location in background.

iOS unifies all app requests for location, and optimizes by caching data and doing no more GPS, WiFi, and cellular fixes than needed. So, this addresses battery concerns. apps specify how often (in terms of distance and/or time) they need updates.

For purposes of enable/disable UWB for regulatory compliance, it is only needed to determine if you have crossed into another country. If you are in Iowa, presumably the checks will be very, very seldom. If you are near the border of some country where UWB is disallowed, the checks will be at more frequent intervals.

As far as “tracking”, if you have even one app with background collection enabled, you are already being “tracked”. At least in your own device’s internal location cache.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Puppuccino

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2019
United Kingdom

I’m in the same position. I’ve left it on but what would happen to my regular usage if I turned it off? Would if have any negative effects?

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
You are broadcasting, sending out “here I am” and phone is looking for others. Shopping? In a mall? Stores know who and where and if you’re lingering or repeat customer. AirDoo spamming happens for a reason, from strangers.
Me...
D52976FD-1493-42E5-B08D-A34A34FDBF14.jpeg

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
Will not use “it”? What do you mean by “it”? Isn’t the 11 Pro supposed to be using the U1 Chip in the background to improve wireless connectivity therefore it being a background process as opposed to something you would “use”

This chip is only for communication between iPhone`s improving AirDrop, for example. Nothing more than that, at least for now.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
This chip is only for communication between iPhone`s improving AirDrop, for example. Nothing more than that, at least for now.
Why is there a warning saying "it may affect WiFi and Bluetooth performance." when trying to disable this setting then?

rdillon2008

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2018
Bahamas
Why is there a warning saying "it may affect WiFi and Bluetooth performance." when trying to disable this setting then?

It affects my smart watch because the watch keeps disconnecting from bluetooth so I have to leave it on. I guess people who have turned this off may have the same issues as well when connected via bluetooth.

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
It affects my smart watch because the watch keeps disconnecting from bluetooth so I have to leave it on. I guess people who have turned this off may have the same issues as well when connected via bluetooth.

I left it disabled and my Watch 4 hasn’t had any connectivity issues.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
This is definitely a new setting? Mine was already turned off. iPhone 11
It was turned off for me as well after updating to latest iOS but that new network toggle under system preferences is a new toggle that controls something that was not available to turn off previously.

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
Can you provide any factual evidence for this claim?
You don’t need factual evidence for the claim. It’s just how Bluetooth and WiFi works. That’s the reason people who are concerned with privacy have their visibility turned off or have their WiFi network hidden.
How did you think Bluetooth device searching/pairing worked?

FYI

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.