Should I Uninstall iChat if I don't use it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fat Nips, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Fat Nips macrumors newbie

Just curious.. I have plenty of space but I enjoy removing applications I don't use.

2. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Why? There's absolutely no reason at all to ever remove an application unless you're running out of disk space. This isn't MS Windows, your machine basically doesn't slow down even one iota just because an extra application is installed.

You should get out of that habit as it can't help, but could certainly hurt you.

3. Fat Nips thread starter macrumors newbie

Because I've never used it and I've got another program that replaces it?

4. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

So? You still haven't given a reason why they shouldn't both be on your disk.

5. Fat Nips thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm... Let me rephrase:
    I don't use it; never have, never will.
    Adium replaces it for me, reassuring me that I will never use it.

6. lucky3killer macrumors regular

iChat is only take 110.4 MB, it's not very bigger file.

I would rather to keep iChat for back up, in case if Adium isn't work or server issue, even cause by firmware update.

7. boast macrumors 65816

boast

8. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Sounds like you already made your decision. :D

9. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

Unless you're low on space I'd just keep it. It's not going to hurt anything by being there.

10. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Put it this way: removing iChat can't hurt your mac but can give you more space, however (not!) insignificant it may be. Also, Adium will always be lightyears ahead of iChat, so the chances of needing it in the future are slim. However, if you do ever find yourself needing it, you can always get it from your Leopard install disk.

11. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

You guys telling him to remove it are all giving bad advice. Especially with Apple's pre installed apps, you should never remove them. Certain features of the OS are tied into the Apple apps, like the easy gui front end to screen sharing for instance. Many of these OS tied in features you probably won't be aware of when you're thinking about deleting the app. Just keep it, no one here has given a single reason why an unused app shouldn't just sit on your hard disk.

12. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I don't believe iChat is used by other programs, it's standalone. There is NOTHING wrong with removing it. Simply because you prefer to keep it does not mean others are giving bad advice. There is no reason to keep a program you will not use. It simply takes up space, as minimal as it is. Also, you haven't given a good reason to keep it since iChat is not used by other programs or the OS :)

It's the user's option, not yours. The "I'm always right" attitude doesn't work.

13. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

By your logic, you haven't given one why it should. Just because you disagree, doesn't mean our reasons aren't valid. It. will. not. hurt. He wants it gone. End of story. Nothing to see here; move along.

14. martychang macrumors regular

Here's a reason, it makes my Applications stack grid bigger than it should be :(

15. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Except I did.

16. sethro macrumors newbie

I don't have iChat installed on my Macbook, it's been about a year now.

17. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Where? You said something to the effect of "Because I said so" followed up with "Because there's no point in deleting it" and then finally some missinformed conclusion that it will affect other apps.

At least my reasons (which are the same as the OP's) were valid. Space and knowing there's an app on your mac that you don't use. That trumps "There's no reason to delete it!!!!!!!111111oneoneone"

18. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

I'd probably remove it. Talking of it being tied up into the OS.... I know there are the same effect in iChat and Photo Booth, so would remove iChat effect the effects in Photobooth.

I guess if you use a program like Appzapper it might remove the effects but not if you just drag the icon to the trash.

19. martyrk macrumors regular

martyrk

What's a reason why he should keep it:

if he states he doesn't want it

I personally I like cleanliness on desktop, folders, if you look at my folders, everything has its place. Hence one of the reasons I bought an iMac, very clean. If there's apps I do not use I get rid of because I don't want to look at them

Get rid of it, drag and drop dude

20. h2hcoop macrumors newbie

appzapper it :p

21. .adam macrumors regular

One thing that annoys me a little about AppZapper is that it doesn't remove anything in /Application Support. Is this an option that can be turned on?

I'm like the OP, I like uninstalling apps I don't use, I also like downloading new apps, trying them out and if they're not for me, getting rid. However, they often leave a footprint in /App. Support. (for example when I uninstalled GarageBand it left over 2GB behind.)

Drag and drop over the trash can is billed as being the 'easy way' to uninstall apps in OS X but I find it simplistic and incomplete.

22. Yellowbean12 macrumors member

Yellowbean12

It's a personal choice, really.

But if it was me, I would hang onto it... if you have lots of space then there's no point getting rid of it.

23. Fat Nips thread starter macrumors newbie

OMFG! Did the world end?!

I'm going to zap it, thanks everyone for your opinions! Even those that disagreed.

24. elcid macrumors 6502

Second that. Coming up on a year and no problems with just having Adium on my system. I don't care if I dont need the space right now, its just annoying having apps in your folder you know you will never ever ever use. Whats the point of seeing them every day?

25. bestthereis27 macrumors member

If you know you're never going to use it. Why do you need to ask us if you should remove it. Just do it if you know you wont use it.