Should I unload my MBA Ultimate NOW for New MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nowstime, Feb 17, 2011.

  1. nowstime, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011

    nowstime macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2008
    #1
    Found out about the new MacBook Pro recently and this has made me thinking about unloading my MacBook Air (late 2010) 13 ultimate spec.

    The light weight is great and battery life is OK but the fan noise on heavy tasks (watching movies + internet + dual screen) is bothering me a bit. Since this is my main laptop I occasionally do iMovie and photoshop which it handles fine but the C2D is just not enough.

    How's the fan noise on the MacBook Pros? Normally the fan is around 2000 rpm (Quiet) but when it goes over 3000~4000 it's pretty loud.

    Do you think the new MacBook Pros will lower the value of the MacBook Airs? If the MacBook Pros come equipped with SSD, I think this will lower the MBAs but who knows what's going to happen.

    I plan to get about $1500 for my MBA ultimate on Criagslist (thought this was a fair value since new ones cost $1694 at MacMall and if I listed on eBay I will have to list it for lesser value than that...then after fees it's about my asking price).

    If I can get around $1500 (my current asking price) after the MacBook Pro is introduced, I plan to keep it untill the new MacBook Pros show up and then decide to jump on them instead of getting rid of it now...

    What do you guys think? Is the time now to move on or can I afford to wait?
     
  2. RayK macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2005
    #2
    It might slightly affect the price, but shouldn't greatly because they are two different types or machines. If they update the Air too? You'd be in trouble.
     
  3. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2009
    #3
    Downloading the flash 10.2 update might help you with the fan noise on flash videos... Otherwise I would always go for the MBP over the MBA. Too many compromises to lose a couple lbs...The only time i really hear the fan is when im transcoding videos or playing games. Those are to be expected on any computer though
     
  4. Jdstew1234 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2010
  5. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

    Fubar1977

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    Location:
    North Yorkshire, UK
    #5
    Your Airs value will probably not be affected unduly by the MBP refresh so I`d wait to see what the new models are like, you`ll still get a good price on your Air if you still want to sell.
     
  6. Kauai macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2010
    #6
    Well, I actually disagree with the other posters. I'd say bail out now and buy an ultimate MBP 13". If the current MBP 13" had sandy bridge and a screen like the MBA I think a lot of MBA buyers would have opted for it instead. And since the new MBP is going to have cheaper SSD upgrade, a HD option and Sandy Bridge I think it will decrease the MBA's value since the main thing going for it was how expensive SSD's were.
     
  7. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

    jvmxtra

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2010
    #7
    +1
     
  8. Erasmus macrumors 68030

    Erasmus

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2006
    Location:
    Hiding from Omnius in Australia
    #8
    +2
     
  9. kx22 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2011
    #9
    With SB comes Intel Graphics. Those graphics are not even comparable to the old 9400m. They're currently no small GPU's that will fit into the logicboard with SB. So Apple needs an bigger graphic card. A bigger graphic card means a bigger laptop. So Apple will drop the 13" or release the 13" with the Intel Graphics.

    Do mind that the 13" was never mend to be Pro. Its just happened to be Pro because of the Core 2 Duo and same 9400m in the 15" basic back in 2009.
    This time it will be a good opportunity to drop the 13".

    There is currently already a line with Macbook White (999,-) Macbook Air (1299,-) and then comes the 15" Pro (1599,- was a rumor of price dropping).

    But then again, Apple will surprise us big time!
    I will buy the Pro 13" if it has and SSD and better graphic card then in my Air (2010). The 15" isnt portable enough.
     
  10. PUMMYUK macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2010
    #10
    Sell now. Reasons?

    1) Upgrade options - RAM and SSD being the primary focus
    2) More horsepower to run later OS versions years down the line (equates to longer service life and lower TCO per year over the course)
    3) Greater Battery Life (I am hoping)
     
  11. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

    BobbyCarbn

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2009
    #11
    You can get the MBA Ultimate on the Apple Refurb store for $1189 now with free shipping.
     
  12. axu539 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2010
    #12
    I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. The SB IGP handily beats the 9400m and actually comes close to the 320m.
     
  13. Kauai macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2010
    #13
    Like the person above said, the SB integrated graphics actually comes quite close if not slightly above the 320m in certain aspects. I don't know where you were getting your information.

    In any case, the 13" MBP is their best selling laptop. They won't drop it.
     

Share This Page