Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDude21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
So I have a macbook still on 10.6.8 I was wandering if updating to 10.8 would be a good idea or not in terms of speed.
Specs:
Processor: intel core 2 duo
Processor Speed: 2.16GHZ
Processor Cores: 2
L2 cache: 4MB
Memory: 2MB

Nov 28, 2010
located
Not with 2 GB of RAM, 4 GB should be the minimum, but Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard is currently the best fit for your stated system.

Software update, upgrade--what's the difference?
Key differences

A software update is usually downloadable free of charge; a software upgrade usually is not.
A software upgrade usually increments the first "dot" number of a product (for example Mac OS X v10.6, Mac OS X v10.5); a downloadable software update usually increments second "dot" number (for example, Mac OS X v10.6.8, Mac OS X v10.5.8).

MacDude21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Wait, why? Is all I have to do is stick another 2GB of ram into my computer or is it the computer?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It's the computer. Your Macbook is the mid-2007 model and it does not have a 64-bit EFI which is required to run 10.8.

MacDude21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Well, the reason I want 10.8 is so I can update more in the future, rather than being "stuck" on 10.8
Also, I did mean 2GB

Nov 28, 2010
located
Well, the reason I want 10.8 is so I can update more in the future, rather than being "stuck" on 10.8
Also, I did mean 2GB

But if the MacBook of yours does not run OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, it will not be able to run OS X 10.9 and the following OS versions.

Either sell your MacBook and get a new or refurbished or used MacBook (or Pro or Air) that is supported by OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and maybe even OS X 10.9 (which might drop support for Core 2 Duo machines and require an i3 or i5 or i7 CPU anyway),
OR
live with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard as long as you can and then get a Mac that supports the version of OS X you want if you have the money later.

Software update, upgrade--what's the difference?
Key differences

A software update is usually downloadable free of charge; a software upgrade usually is not.
A software upgrade usually increments the first "dot" number of a product (for example Mac OS X v10.6, Mac OS X v10.5); a downloadable software update usually increments second "dot" number (for example, Mac OS X v10.6.8, Mac OS X v10.5.8).

VivianNYC

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2013
same question...thanks!

Have 10.6.8 too. Can I upgrade to 10.8 or do I have to stop at 10.7 too?
Thanks!

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Nov 28, 2010
located
Have 10.6.8 too. Can I upgrade to 10.8 or do I have to stop at 10.7 too?
Thanks!

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Early 2008 iMacs support running OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, thus OS X 10.9 Mavericks will be able to run too, but upgrade to at least 4 GB of RAM, maybe even 6 GB RAM (maximum supported amount).

nastiakoim

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2013
having a similar question...

hello!
i am new here...:eek:
i have a macbookpro os x 10.6.8
i didn't have a problem with that until now ,that i want to use a program that requires 10.7 or later version.
what is best for me to do?
thanks...

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
hello!
i am new here...:eek:
i have a macbookpro os x 10.6.8
i didn't have a problem with that until now ,that i want to use a program that requires 10.7 or later version.
what is best for me to do?
thanks...

If you can't live without the program upgrade, If you can do what works for you.

fvbruno

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2013
It's the computer. Your Macbook is the mid-2007 model and it does not have a 64-bit EFI which is required to run 10.8.

im a newbie here and this is why i stick to pc's instead of that proprietary apple crap. so you are saying if i have a macbook i cannot upgrade to 10.8? the limit is 10.7? im really just looking to use iphoto which is not installed. thanks for your time as i learn the mac world

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
im a newbie here and this is why i stick to pc's instead of that proprietary apple ****. so you are saying if i have a macbook i cannot upgrade to 10.8? the limit is 10.7? im really just looking to use iphoto which is not installed. thanks for your time as i learn the mac world

Greetings,

au contraire. Having a MacBook does not automatically relegate you to using only older OS's. All MacBooks beginning with the 2008 Unibodies support 10.8 and probably also 10.9 (and those were shipped with 10.5.). If you want to make sure, everymac.com is a splendid resource.

I admit to think that Apple's policy of dumping support for older hardware is at times morally questionable (when there's no technical reason), but OTOH, I also feel that the opposite policy (nominally supporting hardware on which the OS will not run, but crawl) is just as questionable. I guess the real difference is that Apple wants provides software to sell hardware, whereas MS wants to sell software.

P.S. The current version of iPhoto runs on 10.7.5. But no doubt Apple will some day release a version of iPhoto necessitating 10.8.

More generally, Snow Leopard has shown itself to be a very good and persistent operating system. Unless you have some reasons to upgrade - except wanting to be at the forefront - such as iCloud or app support, you are pretty well off with 10.6.X

RGDS,

fvbruno

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2013
Greetings,

au contraire. Having a MacBook does not automatically relegate you to using only older OS's. All MacBooks beginning with the 2008 Unibodies support 10.8 and probably also 10.9 (and those were shipped with 10.5.). If you want to make sure, everymac.com is a splendid resource.

I admit to think that Apple's policy of dumping support for older hardware is at times morally questionable (when there's no technical reason), but OTOH, I also feel that the opposite policy (nominally supporting hardware on which the OS will not run, but crawl) is just as questionable. I guess the real difference is that Apple wants provides software to sell hardware, whereas MS wants to sell software.

P.S. The current version of iPhoto runs on 10.7.5. But no doubt Apple will some day release a version of iPhoto necessitating 10.8.

More generally, Snow Leopard has shown itself to be a very good and persistent operating system. Unless you have some reasons to upgrade - except wanting to be at the forefront - such as iCloud or app support, you are pretty well off with 10.6.X

RGDS,

thanks seveej. so in light of the fact that 10.6 is a good stable OS, what version of iPhoto would I need?

kaelwhale

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2013
San Francisco, California
Also, I did mean 2GB
You can update your MB to 10.8.3 using a program called MLPostFactor: http://www.osxhackers.com/Installation.html

However, not all features are supported, and you won't be able to upgrade to 10.9 and later unless a hack is released for those OS's too.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
thanks seveej. so in light of the fact that 10.6 is a good stable OS, what version of iPhoto would I need?

iPhoto 9 (from iLife 11) originally ran on 10.6.3 (and onwards), so you might try to find an early boxed (retail) set. Local classifieds and eBay are the natural places to look, but make sure that the box reads 10.6.X as system requirement...

Why on earth the AppStore version demands 10.7.X is anyone's guess...

The other alternative is naturally iPhoto 8 (iLife 09), which may come cheaper, but you need to acquire it in much the same way.

HTH,

mschiquita

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2013
wait for mavericks?

Hey all - hoping for a bit of advice on whether to upgrade to mavericks - I am on 10.6.8 (if it is possible/recommended?)... there is nothing wrong with my current opperating system, i would just enjoy upgrading to the latest!

macbook pro
processer: intel core 2 duo
processer speed: 2.53 ghz
number of processers: 1
total number of cores: 2
l2 cache: 3mb
memory: 4gb

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.