Should I update from iOS 8.1.2 to 8.2 for FREAK?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by leprekon666, Mar 20, 2015.

1. leprekon666, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015

leprekon666 macrumors newbie

I noticed that it still hasn't been fixed with the new 8.2 update. My wife's & mine both have 8.1.2 and I'm just not sure if it's worth updating as the FREAK bug is still there. Any advice be great as I really dont want a apple watch app on my phone

Edit: don't (stupid fingers lol)

2. chrfr macrumors 603

FREAK is patched at the OS level in 8.2. If you carefully read the FUD articles about this, testing has found that in versions of iOS prior to 8.2, 771 apps were vulnerable. After installing 8.2, only 7 apps were vulnerable. I can't say whether or not this is a big issue for you. I updated and simply put the Watch app in a folder where I don't see it.

3. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

@OP

So you want Apple Watch app which is purely a bloatware and does absolutely nothing for now? Update for stability and better battery life on 8.2 but not for that shameless advertising app!

I myself getting definite increased battery life on 5S on 8.2 compared to 8.1.2/3.

Do it.

Edit: you do want or you don't want that app? May be you did a typo :p

4. leprekon666 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya I just am carefully ever since I updated iOS 6 with my 4 and slowly started having issues and we all know how there's always issues with updates. So I know it's not a jump like 5 to 6 or iOS 6 to 7 but as I know there isn't any issues I should be good on my iPhone 6 as I updated to 8.1.2 when I got it. Thanks for the info

5. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

FREAK was addressed in 8.2 . Apple security document

Secure Transport

Available for: iPhone 4s and later, iPod touch (5th generation) and later, iPad 2 and later

Impact: An attacker with a privileged network position may intercept SSL/TLS connections

Description: Secure Transport accepted short ephemeral RSA keys, usually used only in export-strength RSA cipher suites, on connections using full-strength RSA cipher suites. This issue, also known as FREAK, only affected connections to servers which support export-strength RSA cipher suites, and was addressed by removing support for ephemeral RSA keys.

CVE-ID

CVE-2015-1067 : Benjamin Beurdouche, Karthikeyan Bhargavan, Antoine Delignat-Lavaud, Alfredo Pironti, and Jean Karim Zinzindohoue of Prosecco at Inria Paris

The Watch app isn't that huge a deal. Just put it in the other useless apple apps group you have and forget about it. 8.2 has a lot of other fixes and things that make it worth updating as well. Esp from 8.1.2 as you missed the 8.1.3 updates also.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

8.2 is working well for me, but I also wasn't having problems with 8.1.3 on my iPhone 6.

7. KALLT macrumors 601

I think it’s generally not bad to update to the .1 or .2 releases. They have lots of bug fixes, security fixes and optimisations and will only rarely make you worse off than before. This Apple Watch app is inevitable anyway. I’ve heard lots of good things about iOS 8.2, especially on the performance side. I’m only ran it for a short time (iOS 8.3 beta now).

8. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Apps that don't do anything and therefore don't use any system resources at all are not real bloatware. The watch app does still suck tho and should have been integrated into settings and the App Store.

9. leprekon666 thread starter macrumors newbie

So the battery life has improved? I haven't had any of these wifi drop outs and stuff people have had experienced. I know the Touch ID is bugged and slowly doesn't reconize my fingerprints. I guess I'll update them this weekend once I do a backup.

10. technosix macrumors 6502a

Unless one has problems that are serious, upgrading is very risky and inconsistent.

Of the five iPhone 6 and 6 Plus models I bought for the family when they were first released, each update has resulted in slightly different results on each phone. A highly unusual experience.

Normally each year we start with five of the latest model iPhones, I maintain them all, then buy new phones at the next release. I've always had identical very consistent very good results on updates. Never a problem.

But that was then, this is now and my favorite mobile OS is sadly quite inconsistent and buggy. Hopefully Apple will do as the rumors suggest and that's get serious on iOS 9, returning to the fine Apple quality of the past. I know they can do it...

The question is Will They?

11. sualpine macrumors 6502

sualpine

Please read one of the other 15 8.2 battery life threads. As I have posted before, 8.2 is 8.1.3 with Watchkit and bugfixes. There are no battery affecting changes, short of now having your bluetooth on all day with an Apple Watch connection.

12. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

I said something similar the other week
    For fun just search for iPhone battery life on this forum. You get 39 pages, I repeat 39 pages, with about 25 threads on each page. It makes you cry :D

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

For the vast majority most of the time it's neither very risky or inconsistent.

14. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Just update, before 8.2 I got 6-7 hours on battery. After 8.2 I get 9-10 without changing anything. This is on an iPhone 6 by the way, not a 6 plus. The phone feels a little bit speedier, too. Especially when double clicking the home button for the app switcher. Many under the hood bugs were probably fixed, along with FREAK for the most part. Yes, you get the Apple Watch app, but just stick it in a folder on an extra page, apart from everything else. I can't see how it would be that bothersome if you can't even see it.

15. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

If you're already on 8.1.2, I see no reason not to upgrade to 8.2.

Speaking for myself, it fixed the remaining Bluetooth issues with my car, and I don't notice any changes to the performance and stability (it was fine before). Battery life seems a little bit better, but nothing on any order of magnitude. And it provides security updates.

The Apple Watch app is neither here nor there, and doesn't seem to take up a huge amount of space. I stashed it into the Extras directory (alongside the Notes, Stocks, and Voice Memos apps that I never use either), and moved on with my life.

If storage space is a concern, then you should try restoring your phone as a new device before updating to 8.2. Then apply the update using iTunes, and restore your apps and data using a local backup (a local backup will save your text messages and more reliably restores your game progress data). This procedure purges the caches and empties out all the junk data built up in the "Other" directory.

16. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Just no.
    The worst problem my mum had with iOS 8 was with 8.2 when she called me and asked what this watch app is and why she cannot delete it. Very risky indeed :D