Should I update from OS X 10.6.8?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GASGASGAS, Jun 28, 2014.

1. GASGASGAS macrumors newbie

If so, how much of an update will the machine stand?

It's a 27' desktop, iMac 11,3 with 3.2 GHz i3, 4GB 13333MHz DDR3

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you are using that iMac on the Internet, yes you should update because Snow Leopard is no longer receiving security updates.

That iMac can easily run the free Mavericks OS X update.

3. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

Mavericks runs superbly on my 2010 iMac (12 GB RAM, 2.93 MHz processor) and was a nice upgrade from Mountain Lion. Mavericks seems smoother and more efficient.

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

If you still use apps that need Rosetta, then don't update! Or make a different partition for a newer os X.

5. thesimplelogic macrumors regular

I would recommend upgrading to Mavericks, as long as (like the previous poster stated) you don't need PPC applications. Your iMac will run fine - my C2D MacBook runs Mavericks quite well - perhaps if you find it a little bit slow you could ramp up the RAM to 8 GBs.

6. fleshkopter macrumors newbie

I was hesitant to upgrade too, but curiosity got the best of me. I upgraded directly from Snow Lep with no trouble at all. I still have a snow leopard partition for the rare instance when i want to use a ppc app. On the whole, I'm very happy with Mavericks, it runs snappier than Snow Leopard, too! It only took a short time to adjust to the differences, many of which I was able to set to my liking anyway like the ugly dashboard background (set that to transparent). My only gripe is a small one and thats that when you sleep, screen goes dark immediately but the computer doesn't actually sleep for about 20 seconds. Lasty, be prepared to replace a few apps that no longer work under Mavericks - iPhoto for example. Oh yeah, running on 12,1 imac (mid 2011 2.8 gHz i7)